Tuesday, November 1, 2016

MYCROFT HOLMES





I don’t give a rat’s ass about basketball.   I have never played basketball and would never watch it.  To me it is on the same interest scale as golf.   I can only name three basketball players: Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.  All three seem good men, but I have a special feeling for Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, who like Mohammed Ali, had the grit to openly flaunt criticism and declare his faith to Islam.  

Even though Ali and Abdul-Jabbar were athletes, I feel they paved the way for a President named Barack Hussein Obama.

Something I do care about is Sherlock Holmes.



I first read Sherlock Holmes and the Adventure of the Speckled Band when I was about fourteen and in high school.   It was the only Holmes book in the school library and I read it many times. 



As I got older I would purchase any Holmes story I came across and amassed a small collection (this of course was before the internet, and book stores were not that available.)   Finally, I was able to find and purchase Baring-Gould’s annotated Sherlock Holmes – all the stories – and I read and reread the stories until the book was (and is) well worn. 

I am a member of the Occupants of the Empty House, a scion society of the Baker Street Irregulars, and I have written a number of monographs on Sherlock Holms. 

Where am I going with this and what does basketball have to do with Sherlock Holmes? 

Yesterday my wife and I went to Augusta.  We ate at Longhorn Steak house, shopped at Home Depot and made our regular pilgrimage to Barns and Noble Book Store.

I dislike Holmes knock off stories even when written by a favorite writer like Stephen King.    However, while browsing the mystery section I came across Mycroft Holmes by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.  My interest was piqued and I bought the book.

 

Last night I read the first seventy-five pages and I am hooked.  If you are a Holmes fan you might want to take a look at Mycroft Holmes - though not true to the canon it is still a ripping good read.

the Ol’Buzzard




1 comment:

  1. I will have to give it a try! Sounds interesting. Interestingly, for me anyhow, I much prefer WATSON in all the books. His character seems to better resonate with me.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."