Friday, November 25, 2016

AN APOLOGY




I have taken some flack, and rightly so, when I have blogged about people being poorly educated.   I did not mean it condescendingly.

There is no one right view, and we don't have to all agree. 

I did not have the opportunity to go to college until I was 42, and I was not poorly educated.   I had a good basic education coming out of high school, and I paid attention and learned from life experiences.  College definitely did not make any smarter, but it did give me the opportunity to explore subjects I had no prior knowledge of - it broadened my horizons.  

A person can attend four, six or even eight years of college and if they deny climate change and believe in Noah's Ark, they are poorly educated.   

The people I have referred to as the poorly educated are the ones that are fact free: people that relinquish their logical reasoning to follow, unquestioningly, charismatic con men spouting a mixture of truths, half truths and outright ridiculous lies.  They never question.   They repeat talking points without having any idea of the meaning.   They use phrases like Make America Great Again and We want our freedom back, but when ask to explain, they are at a loss.  

Perhaps ignorant of facts would be a better phrase than poorly educated.   If I have offended, I apologize.  
the Ol'Buzzard



  




7 comments:

  1. Agree with your definition. Education is more than book larnin'. When your view of the world is limited to the size of the local coffee shop window and you are resistant to facts then willfully ignorant is a good description.
    I read an interview with a 'blue-dog' Democrat congressman from rural Michigan who says the Democrats are out of touch with his constituents. Their concerns about agriculture policy and trade I understand but their other concerns echo those of the people who elected Trump. Why would anyone WANT the Dems to moderate their policies to suit people with their heads firmly up their ass? These rural (and others of their ilk) seem to think it is OK for them to inflict their views (religion) on every one else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Newsweek uses the term Poorly Educated.
    http://europe.newsweek.com/donald-trump-brexit-austria-french-presidential-election-national-front-525281

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe the poorly educated want to be that way. No curiosity, no ambition to know more about how and why. I don't understand that kind of thinking (or lack thereof), but apparently it is quite popular.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The people who are offended by terms like poorly educated are usually the same people who take great pride in scorning 'book larnin' and are deliberately and willfully ignorant. If they want to wallow in their cluelessness they should expect to be subjected to mockery and disdain from those of us who know the earth isn't flat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the one thing that has served me well these many years about "my education" is that at some point, I realized that education is not something we ever attain. The people who think they know all they need to know and stop asking questions are the uneducated. If one is not asking questions, fishing for new answers, then that person is "un-educated.

    In my mind Trump voters fell into two groups. One group just could not stomach Hillary, so they voted for Trump. The other were previous non voters who had stopped long ago asking questions and wanted/needed someone with a strong nationalistic message to follow. Regardless, both at some point stopped asking questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People who think they know it all are an annoyance to those of us who do. Sign on my father's wall.

      Delete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."