Tuesday, November 29, 2016

A WINTER TIP FOR ICY STEPS






Three years ago I walked out of my back porch after a freezing rain.  My feet hit the second step and I went horizontal landing hard on my back, partially on the steps.  I lay there for a minute stunned not sure if I was injured.   I was bruised and sore, but otherwise all right.

That following summer I decided I needed to do something to prevent ice buildup on the steps causing me perhaps a more serious injury.

I had a rubber door mat with green plastic grass inside my back hall to clean the snow off my feet before entering the house.  I cut the door mat into sections to fit my back steps.  To keep the door mat from sliding I placed rubber shelf liner underneath each tread and then stapled them to the steps with a hand stapler. 

Last year this worked fine during the Maine winter.   I would sweep the treads with a broom if snow accumulated, but otherwise they were care free and worked great, giving me traction when using my back door. 




The treads are still good for another year so I decided to share the idea.

Enjoy the winter
the Ol'Buzzard




3 comments:

  1. Every bit of traction helps in the winter, alright.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great idea! I never thought of that. We do tend to have icy rain storms now and then in January. I'll have to tell David about this one.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."