Saturday, January 5, 2019

WINNING THE LOTTERY





I buy a $2.00 lottery ticket every week.   That means I spend $104.00 a year on chance.  

The chance of winning the Maine Megabucks is one chance in fifteen million.

There were fifteen people in the US struck by lightning last year.  The population of the US is three-hundred and twenty-three million.   This works out (when rounded off) to one chance in fifteen million you will be struck by lightning.

I have had two lightning incidents so far in my life.   In Italy I was leaning against the aircraft when it was hit by lightning.   My left arm had no feeling in it for almost three weeks. 

In Florida I was riding my motorcycle home in a thunder storm when lightning struck the ditch beside the road.  The next thing I knew I was sitting in the road stunned and after checking myself for injuries I crawled to my bike and hit the kill switch.  I was able to get back on the bike and make it under an overpass where I waited out the storm. 

I figure I am overdue on the lottery.

the Ol’Buzzard


3 comments:

  1. That $2 lottery ticket is a cheap price to pay for the idle moment dreams it allows.

    The lightening gives you stories that add up to cheap thrills!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Don't waste any more long odds on lightning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although the odds of winning are mathematically the same whether I buy a ticket or not, I still buy one once in a while. It makes for some interesting daydreams.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."