Monday, January 14, 2019

God Damn I







Many years ago, I knew an old man (probably not as old as I am now) that would swear ‘God damn I” every time he screwed up something.

I always thought that sounded strange, buy at that time in my life I wasn’t particularly concerned about anything that didn’t bring pleasure to me – or is it I…

Shakespeare’s Ophelia cried ‘Woe is me,” but can we really set our grammar on Shakespeare’s prows?   Should it have been Woe is I or Woe am I?  

Anyway, I kind of like the sound of God damn I, so that has been my go-to for years.

There are rules of grammar that make sense, but rules are meant to be broken.  To me there are three strands of language: one is to transmit information or relate a story, one is to express emotion and the other is art.   

God damn I expresses emotion, so who is to say it I am not correct?

I am Me, or am I?
the Ol’Buzzard

3 comments:

  1. I know one person whose inexplicable go-to swear phrase is "brown dog bastard!" WTF?

    ReplyDelete
  2. From where I'm sitting you're you.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam.
    Russian says "It is I". Confuses me all to hell.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."