Saturday, January 26, 2019

BACK TO BUDDHISM








IF YOU WISH TO SEE A BUDDHA

WATCH A CAT


MY MORNING MEDITATION


I have a routine I try an adhere to each morning.   Right out of bed I go downstairs and drink a small glass of orange juice to add electrolytes to my body; then back upstairs, stretch out, and workout twenty minutes on my Total Gym.   I go from one exercise to the next without a break in-between and by the time I am finished I am in an aerobic state.


I turn around on the gym seat and place both my feet firmly on the floor, place my right hand in my left palm with thumbs touching, close my eyes and focus on slowing down my breathing.   After about a minute I am conscious of my heart beat and I focus on slowing down my heart rate.  That done, I focus on breathing for a few breaths and then totally blank my mind.     I spend no more than five minutes in meditation after workout – and I don’t time it. 


Anyone can do this with a committed practice.   It begins with finding a quiet, private place to meditate.   Sit comfortably on a pillow, a stool or a chair.  Close your eyes and focus on your breathing: visualize the breaths going in as you expand your stomach and visualize the air exiting as you release the breath.   Breath with your diaphragm.  Relax.   If your mind wanders bring it back to your breaths.   Spend no more than five minutes – but don’t time it.   When you feel totally relaxed open your eyes, focus around you and then gradually, comfortably, move your body and continue your normal day. 


With a minute’s meditation (even in a doctor’s office) I can bring down my blood pressure ten points.    And you can too. 
   

As meditation becomes natural to you, you will find you can control anxiety, and relax your body, and focus your mind in times of stress; and with five minutes morning practice you can begin each day in a better frame of mind. 
 

And if that doesn't work: smoke a joint.
the Ol’Buzzard










4 comments:

  1. It's the making my mind go blank part that's hard for me, but I believe you when you say it can help with blood pressure, et. al. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right about cats and zen! I wrote a poem about it a few years ago (the cat is, of course HRH) --

    http://shewhoseeks.blogspot.com/2008/09/my-guru.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I believe many cats harbor the souls of zen buddhist teachers.
    I've been doing meditation to calm my pain when I don't have my medication on hand. Sometimes it works. It all depends on the severity of my pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A cat is nearly always in the present moment and open, yet completely aware of it's surroundings. We can learn much from them.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."