Tuesday, January 1, 2019

HOPPIN’ JOHN




I spent most of my formative years in the Delta of Mississippi.  

My grandmother raised me.  She had been born in the Delta and had Mississippi in her roots.    On new years day we always ate Hoppin’ John: black-eyed peas with raw onions and rice.   This was supposed to bring you good luck for the coming year.  If you added cooked greens it was also supposed to bring you money – the greens were good, but the money never worked out. 

To say we were poor is an overstatement; but being poor in the Delta wasn’t an unusual condition.  

My wife is making cornbread tonight and we will be having Hoppin’ John. 







6 comments:

  1. You are about the third blogger who has mentioned black eyed peas. I don't think I've ever eaten them but why not? Hope 2019 is a great year for you! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Black eyed peas were called Cow Peas where I was raised.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made Hoppin' John this afternoon with wild rice and diced ham. I made jalapeno honey cornbread too. It was all sooooo good. I was the only one that ate because David doesn't like black-eyed peas. I vacuum bagged the rest and froze it for later when I don't feel like cooking. I baked a chicken breast and he had wild rice and green beans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. May this evening's Hoppin' John meal bring you lots of luck in 2019!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year!
    Growing up in a Polish family, we had herring every new year's eve that we'd eat a bite of at midnight while holding on to a silver coin. It was supposed to bring luck and money.
    Years later, when I lived in the South I had a neighbor that did the black eyed peas with his new year's meal, very tasty.

    However, I never saw either of these tradition bring in the luck or prosperity that legend tells LOL. But hey, at least they tasted good! May your year be filled with all good things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh! Hopping John and cornbread!!! Good food! I have had the good fortune to eat that at May Mac's in Atlanta when I was at a conference... so good! I have tried to replecate the goodness at home, and while what I make is decent, it does not compare to Mary Mac's!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."