Thursday, October 7, 2021

BOOK REVIEWS

 


I am a voracious reader.  I am never not reading at least one book.  I have eclectic taste, but sci-fi futuristic and spy fiction rarely appeal to me.  

That said, I am currently reading Star of the North by D. B. John, and it is a riveting, can’t put down, thriller.  This is the story of half Korean/American identical twin girls.   One sister is kidnapped by the North Koreans; and the trials of the other sister’s efforts to get her back.   The book gives an in-depth insight into life in North Korea under the Kim dynasty – an almost unbelievable dehumanized society.




 

A second book that I highly recommend is Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith.  It is a murder mystery taking place in the dark society of 1953 Russia; a fearful time when no one was above the scrutiny of the Russian Security Forces.  Child 44 is one of the few books where the movie (DVD) is every bit as good as the book.




 

the Ol’Buzzard


2 comments:

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."