Friday, April 12, 2019

WAITING FOR FLAVIA








The tenth Flavia de Luce novel has just been released.  For those of you that have not met Alan Bradley’s twelve-year-old sleuth I would recommend you begin with the first of the series: The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie.  


There is no better introduction to young Flavia than her own words:
I’d like to remark at the onset that I’m a girl with better than an average brain.   Just as some people are given the gift of a singular and often quite remarkable talent – such as Violet Cornish’s uncanny ability to break wind to the tune of “Joy to the World” – I myself, in much the same way, have been blessed with powers of logical thinking.  As Violet could easily confirm, it’s something you’re born with, and then improve by much practice.”


This is the beginning of volume ten: The Golden Tresses of the Dead.






I am not into children’s literature, or literature about children; I don’t particularly like children;  but I make the exception with the Flavia de Luce mysteries.  These are a damn good read.
 

I dare you to read the first one and then not continue with the series.

the Ol’Buzzard

4 comments:

  1. ability to break wind to the tune of “Joy to the World” - thanks for the laugh. I liked your decorating with the tin foil you shared at "She Who Seeks".

    ReplyDelete
  2. These books DO sounds delightful! The series has been added to my "to read" list! The bit about farting "Joy to the World" just cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What age is Flavia? I'm always looking for books my students would like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the books are more on an adult theme. Probably not appropriate for young children: junior high and up OK.

      Delete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."