Saturday, April 13, 2019

CHILDREN’S LITERATURE FOR ANNE JOHNSON









Anne's blog The Gods are Bored, always a good read.  As a comment on one of my post she asked about books her students might enjoy.  The book I had posted of the Flavia de Luce series is more on and adult level and probably not appropriate for young children.


For my first six years teaching I taught in a multi-classroom school, grades three through six, and had complete autonomy on my class schedule.   I would read to my student every day for fifteen minutes before lunch, and in the afternoon I set aside a twenty minute for the students to read. 


There are so many great books it is hard to pick just a few; but even if you are not a teacher, the three books I mention here would be great gifts for young people.


If I had to pick a favorite author it would be Farley Mowat.  I have spent many years in the Arctic, and though I am now in Maine, I still have the Arctic in my soul.


Two great children’s books by Farley Mowat that would introduce young people to another culture and another environment, are Lost in the Barrens, and the follow up The Curse of the Viking Grave. 
 

In the first book a young white boy and an Athabaskan Indian boy become lost in the arctic barrens and survive for the winter before being found by Eskimo hunters.   The second book is a great adventure of the two friends.
 

Mowat did a wonderful arctic research book (The Siberians) which explored how Siberians dealt with the arctic environment: with food growing, architecture etc.  This was during the time of the Cold War, and as a result of his travel in Siberia he was banned from entering the United States.   What a disgrace – a perfect example of US ignorance.


Many years ago, my wife and I visited Plymouth Plantation.    At the Plymouth museum I bought a diary of a young girl that came to America on the Mayflowers: A Diary to the New World – the diary of Remember Patience Whipple.   I found it still available on Amazon.
 

I was teaching multi-classroom in a remote Alaskan village, and Mayflower history meant absolutely nothing to the Indian children – it was culturally foreign. 


On the exact day of the Mayflower departure I read the girl's first entry, and every day I started class with her entry for that day.  Soon the children were enthralled.   We went out and drew the exact dimensions of the Mayflower on the road and  crammed in as many of the other students that were available into that tight space, then my students realize how crowded the ship was on the long and arduous journey – it is almost unbelievable you could get that many people into such a small space and sail across the ocean. 


There are other great books, but these are three that come to mind.


Teaching is a burnout occupation.  There are difficult kids to contend with, and classrooms that are too large.  Parents are always critical and most often don’t understand that their little darling may be an asshole in class.  The School Board is made up of people who have never taught one day in a classroom and has its own political agenda.  Tenure is often tied to students passing ‘standardized test.’  Teachers are continually tested and are required to continue with their own education to stay certified.  Many teachers have higher degrees than the local bank president; but are paid blue collar wages.  

Still teachers teach.    The greatest respect to you Anne Johnson.

the Ol’Buzzard








4 comments:

  1. I grew up reading Farley Mowat books! One of Canada's best authors of the 20th century! We all owe a tremendous and unpayable debt to teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize Mowat wrote children's books. Teachers are not nearly revered enough in our culture, nor are they compensated enough for what they do and what is expected of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read both of those books and twenty some years ago, they were part of the grade seven reading programme. A book that I read aloud to my kids (grade four currently) is My Side of the Mountain by Jean George (fiction but with many facts about nature). I'm currently reading George's Marvelous Medicine (Roald Dahl). He's always good for a laugh. Many years ago I read The Dog Who Wouldn't Be (Mowat) and Owls in the Family (Mowat). Both wonderful. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for your review...I should read the books.
    Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."