Tuesday, April 16, 2019

HOW FAR WE HAVE COME








The first time I ever saw a TV was in the late 1940’s in Chicago.   It had a round screen about eight inches in diameter and the picture was so snowy you could barely make out details. 



 

The next time I saw a TV was in the early 1950.   My uncle and his wife had one of the first TV in our little Mississippi Delta town.  It had a 16-inch screen, black and white.   My uncle had bought a plastic film that adhered to the TV screen: the film was blue on the top, yellow in the middle and green on the bottom; which gave a vague allusion to a color picture.  They could receive two channels with their outside antenna, but the picture was grainy and often became unfocused. 


I am sure that young people today would not understand what I am talking about when I say that both radios and TV’s of that era operated with vacuum tubes.


I could never have dreamt of living in a time of current technology.   What will technology be like when the young people of today reach my age? 




It is mind blowing
the Ol’Buzzard  


6 comments:

  1. Reach your age? What will it be like in 10 years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In reality, technology has moved faster than any known time period in history of mankind. I believe we are moving much to quickly for our own good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never known a world without TV. True, when I was a kid, it was a black & white set with one channel, but still.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That round screen in the picture looks like an oscilloscope. The trend towards bigger and bigger TV screen size will surely stop - right? Once you fill a complete wall with a TV screen where do you go from there? The ceiling? Maybe everyone with watch with virtual reality headsets and the TV screen will be gone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if they'll figure out teleporting?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I well remember my great-grandmother's T.V. with its 6" screen inside a cabinet 3 times as large.
    I also remember the console radios made of oak.

    Tubes were a norm in everything from televisions to radios to hi-fi systems.
    The 60s saw the transistor radios---both table radios and the hand-held ones the kids and teenagers carried on their way to school, tuned into their favorite local stations.
    Then transistors "invaded" more sophisticated devices in the early 70s with integrated stereo receivers and cassette tape decks.
    Not sure when televisions finally ceased to comprise picture tubes, but it's been within the past 30 years I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."