Friday, December 9, 2011

LIKE?

WHAT IN THE HELL KIND OF WORD IS “LIKE?”




My wife and I work out at the gym at the University here in western Maine about three times a week.   After our work out we often grab a bite at the UM cafeteria.

It’s not ease-dropping but you can’t help overhearing some of the conversations, and they go like this:
Hi, like it’s been a long time since I have seen you, like weeks.   I told Jim, ‘Like, where has Joy been?   Like, I use to see her in class.’  He was like, ‘Wow I don’t know, like maybe she’s sick’.”


“I have been, like really sick for over a week.   Like, I could hardly get out of bed; like Ohhh, I’m dying.   My roommate was like, ‘I don’t even want to be in the room with you – like you should go home.   But, I’m like over it now. Like, not completely fine, but like able to go to class…


And the conversation continues.

I love the University and the kids that attend here are great, and a positive asset to the community. However, I couldn’t help but ask my wife, “What the hell kind of word is like?”   What part of speech is it? Being old school, I wonder how you would diagram it in a sentence; and if you could magically remove the word from English usage would these kids still be able to communicate?



Like, I know it’s not important.


But, like, I’m Just asking.


the Ol’Buzzard

5 comments:

  1. Like, another ole fart wonders like, right along with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought like went its way with the Valley Girls many moons ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just tell them that ,like their parents talked like that, like eons ago!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rubye Jack: Maine is always a decade or so behind.
    Kulkuri: my generation was "cool man," and "fucking-A."
    Granny: I love your cat pix.
    Future: we should start an ol-farts club...but that might get smelly.
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."