Friday, January 7, 2022

NO BULLSHIT BUDDHISM IN THE TIME OF ANARCHY

 



 


I know my blog is most often negative.  I tend to post about the things that bother me, mainly the shortcomings of the human race.  I also sometimes post about my No Bullshit Buddhism – the philosophy of living that I try to adhere to, but not well. 

 

Buddhism and a negative outlook may seem incompatible; but in my perspective of No Bullshit Buddhism, it is reasonable.

 

 All the supposed sayings attributed to the Buddha are just as much bullshit as the red print in the Christian Bible – supposedly said by Jesus.

 

Organized Buddhism, like all organized religions, has lost the concept of the Buddha.   All its bells and whistles, its tomes and volumes of creeds, its ceremonies robes and trappings have moved away from the basic concept the Buddha supposedly discovered as he meditated near death under the bodhi tree, and was brought a bowl of rice and a cup of cool water by a beautiful young girl.    

 

In basic Buddhism under the bodhi tree, the Buddha never promised happiness; he never promised a utopia, he never promised freedom from death or a life after.   The Buddha just proclaimed that life is full of strife; but life is also a gift and we should live it and appreciate it the best we can in each moment.

 

Right now, our country is in chaos.   Violence and anarchy are the herald of the news.   A virus pandemic threatens our lives and the lives of the people we love.    Every moment discontent is fermented by the people around us; and in reality, there is nothing we can do in the moment to mediate the mayhem. 

 

I am living in my eighth decade and my future is finite.   I am past my sell-by date, so I don’t have time to rage and rant against the insanity of the human race.   It has always been here and will always be here until it extinguishes itself. 

 

This morning it is snowing.  Beautiful, large soft white flakes are drifting down from a grey sky.  My wife, who I love dearly, is sitting in the room with me, and soon we will be contemplating breakfast.  

 

the Ol’Buzzard

 

7 comments:

  1. Your last sentence describes pretty well the best of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every organized religion is about power and control, not about the teachings of its founder. Buddhism included, I agree. I like your No Bullshit Buddhist approach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Organized Buddhism sounds much like any organized religion. Still, your ending paragraph sounds as though you have a good grip on good life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know a lot about Buddhism... but I guess I never considered it an organized religion - but I guess it is. I do find the Buddhist philosophy uplifting and real for the most part. And I do believe life is what you make it. You seem to know that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I read history - and live through it - I sometimes think about all the shitty things that will happen after I die, and I won't have to live through it. A dark comfort, but there you are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. as a pagan my goddess doesn't ask anything more than to do no harm...wanna fuck up your life..up to you..but don't think it's not going to end well for you.ha

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."