Saturday, January 29, 2022

DID I RUN and AM I TIRED ?

 





I am in my eighth decade and getting more absent minded.   Yesterday I put together a bread; and when the bell rang on the bread-maker I took out the dough and realized I had not mixed in the yeast. 

 

Last night I made a fish chowder: sautéed onions, carrots, celery and garlic, put in two bottles of clam juice, added diced potatoes, a hand-full of thyme, and cooked until tender.   Finally, poured in a pint of Half and Half cream and a quarter-stick of butter.    Then realized the fish was still in the refrigerator. I had to add the salmon and halibut late to the recipe.  A fish chowder without fish?

 

Ok, twice in the same day: fuck me silly with a handy-billy.    But I am not overly concerned. 

 

Our brains are computers and have a finite storage capacity in the hard drives.  Some young people are just starting to fill their hard-drives; some people will never fill them, and most of us are overloaded at my age. 

 

Before covid, my wife and I would often go into the college cafeteria for a coffee and a sandwich after our walk around town.   The young twenty-somethings would look at us dismissively.   We were obviously  below their level of competence, knowledge and experience: old people. 

 

Fifteen years prior, these same young people were just learning not to crap their pants and piss their beds.  The spent the next seven years learning to read, write, and retain some basic math and science facts. Their last five years in school were consumed with the idea of sex, and trying to figure how to put what in where.  Now they are in college and know everything - and old people are just in their way.  But in reality, their hard drives are practically empty.

 

I have done everything these young people have done-plus.  I have lived in eight states; spent 13 years in the arctic and sub-arctic; I have spent seven years deployed between Italy, Spain, Portugal, Azores, Bermuda, Cuba, Porto Rico, Iceland, Vietnam, and Newfoundland; I have been to Turkey, Greece, Libya, Scotland and England; I have almost a thousand military flight hours and have been in two crash landings; I have been a winter-bush survival instructor, Maine State Guide, a school teacher and a principal. I have canoed the Allagash River and the Okefenokee swamps.  I have met thousands of people, and had thousands of experiences – many forgotten.   

 

I don’t use a cell phone, have a Face Book page, Tweet, play War Craft and video games; because I don’t care to.    I don’t take make-believe parachute jumps with virtual reality glasses – I have already done that in real life.   And I definitely get annoyed when Microsoft wants to download and update on my ten-year old computer.

 

Young people are not at fault.  In reality this is their world, and my time is past.   But in their egocentricity they don’t realize my hard drive is full and theirs are virtually empty.

 

Does it bother me that I can’t always come up with the word I want to say, or forget to put the yeast in the bread or the fish in the chowder?   A little.    But that is the cost of a world of experiences I have lived.     

 

All those experiences are downloaded on my hard drive, and unfortunately there is not an optimize button to sort and order all the data: so occasionally I am going to grope for a word or forget to put the damn yeast in the bread.  My hard drive is full.    It comes with the age .   But this is still the best time of my life. 

 

Did I run and Am I tired?

the Ol’Buzzard

 


7 comments:

  1. I really liked this post. You hit the nail on the head when it comes to most people and how they view the elderly. Our grandson (who lives with us) is 23. He unintentionally said something I thought was wonderful the other day. He said something like "I just realized that you two have lived through so much of the history that I'm just reading about." And from there we talked about everything from the space program through the racial protests of the 60's through the Kennedy assassination, etc. And even though my memory is not as great as it used to be, I can still remember the important things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As if growing old is not hard enough watching your own demise in slow motion, we also have to endure the insolence and disrespect of young people. They have no manners. They run over me both in the marketplace and in traffic. I avoid them if at all possible. I single-handedly made going to the movie less popular - just to avoid teenagers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, my career took me to many areas in Canada few people get to see, such as the High Arctic. I'm only 58 and I'm regularly surprised and appalled at the apathy, self-absorption and ignorance of so many young people today. Youth is truly wasted on the young... take comfort in the fact that you've forgotten more than most of them will ever know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who the hell are you and what's your name again?

    ReplyDelete
  5. An excellent explanation for forgetting. I agree. Plus, you've certainly done a great big bunch of stuff! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this so much...I tell people I only remember things that will keep me alive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your life experiences are awesome. Friend of mine used to say, stay home and stay stupid. YOU did not do that, for sure.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."