Wednesday, April 7, 2021

I FORGOT TO TITLE THIS

 


The Blog Fodder recently posted about old time preachers.  I am old enough to remember the tent revival preachers that use to travel throughout the south.  They shouted about sin, were backed up by a gospel choir, would invite people to come up and be saved, even did some faith healing; and when everyone was in the spirit they passed the plates.


But in the hills of Kentucky there was a Pentecostal group that kept their faith hidden.   I always think of this story by Wendy Bagwell.  



These groups are outlawed, but still exist in the hills of Kentucky and West Virginia.   


the Ol'Buzzard

2 comments:

  1. I have heard of them. If one or two die every year they should soon run out of congregants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. being raised a catholic I was not familiar with revivals..one summer I was staying with my grandmother who was hard shell baptist and insisted I go with the preachers son to the tent revival..It was Texas in July. Hotter than hell and full of sinners I guess...the preacher came to the pulpit and slammed his bible on it screamed at the top of his lungs and said you're all going to hell. I jumped completely out of my chair. Stood for a second turned to the preachers son and said 'oh hell no'...and made me take him home. Where he tried to have his way with me and I ended up walking home. and people want to know why I'm a pagan.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."