Friday, June 15, 2018

OLD DOG NEW AVOCADO








I am not a great gastronomist – I was raised in the south.  We ate tomatoes, corn, rice, collards, eggs, grits, bacon, chicken, ham and catfish.  I was raised on wonder bread and oleo margarine.  My snacks were mayonnaise sandwiches.

I have eaten at some nice restaurants over the past forty years, but there are some foods that are still foreign to me. 

I have recently learned I like avocados; but half an avocado added to a salad for my wife and is enough, then the other half goes bad in the refrigerator overnight. 

In this day and age of unlimited information on line I eventually search YouTube for the answer of storing avocados.  

YouTube offered half dozen solutions for keeping avocados fresh and I tried them all and narrowed it down to one.

Leave the pit in and store it in an airtight container with chopped onions – it works for up to four days. 

two days old


  the Ol'buzzard

4 comments:

  1. I really like avocados. My mom served them whenever they were available. My wife however is crazed over avocados. If we cut open one, it's gone. One of my fondest memories of my time hauling rock bands was sitting on the grass looking down on Mission Bay (San Diego) splitting a bottle of tequila and a bag of fresh avocados with a sweet young thing I met there.Watched the sunset and well, it was a great time. Yeah avocados. Lots of memories over avocados. I will pass on your hint. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favourite way of eating avocados I stole from a co-worker. Mash a half an avocado, add some diced tomatoes and some salt. Stir that up and eat it on triscuit crackers. Excellent with a little lime juice squeezed over it as well. I have found that if you keep the pit in and put plastic wrap on it so it sits right on the cut face of the avocado, it forms a seal and it is fine for the next day. Just a thought. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a terrific tip -- I take it there is no taste transference from the onions to the avocado? That's what I've always wondered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Avocados freeze well. Wrap the unused portion in cling film and freeze until needed. (Defrost before using!)

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."