Thursday, March 1, 2012

A BUZZARD EGG OMELET #7


HOW TO LOOK BETTER NAKED

Yellow Dog Granny was looking for a recipe for a quick and easy dessert and I suggested this.  It is a quick and easy Blueberry Cobbler that with a little Cool Whip is excellent.  

Spray 8x8 dish with cooking spray.
Pour 1.5 cups of fresh or frozen blueberries into dish (any berry would probably work but we use blueberries because they are plentiful here in Maine.)
Sprinkle 1 package of sugar free Jello over blueberries (any flavor but blueberry as that turns the crust an ugly color – we use strawberry.)
Toss the blueberries to coat.

Mix the following
0.5 cups fat free milk
1 cup of Heart Healthy Bisquick
1 Tbsp. margarine
2 tbsp. water

Pour batter over blueberries
Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes until crust starts to brown.
Serves 6  (2 points on weight watchers.)

Back in January 2011 my brother-in-laws came up to Maine for a visit.  They are both big men; and a few months before had joined Weight Watchers and had remarkable results.   They kept telling us how easy the program is.   My wife decided she would like to drop ten pounds and since there was a Weight Watchers meeting here in town she decide we would attend. 

The program is a piece of cake – no special foods to buy.   You receive a small book with a list of foods that places a points value for each food.   There is also a Weight Watchers calculator available that will help you assign points for foods not listed in the book.  After you weigh in and tell the consultant how much you want to loose she assign you a daily points value that you must stay within.    Almost all vegetables and fruits are zero points, so the diet is extremely easy to follow and you are never hungry.   Once you get use to figuring your daily poins intake you really don’t need to continue attending the program.  

AND: You can still eat this.


After three months my wife went down one size in her clothing and I dropped from 205 to 185 pounds.  It has been a year now and we still count our points and have not gained the weight back.  Medically: my wife’s doctor has reduced her blood pressure medication by half and now tells her she may be able to discontinue her diabetes medication in the near future; and I feel the best I have in years. 

Actually we have had a life style change:  we eat more whole grains, more vegetables and fruits and do more regular exercise… and I still can drink beer, wine and whiskey … what’s not to like.  

The Ol’Buzzard


3 comments:

  1. it really looks like a great recipe, might try it for my ownself..
    I just cut back on carbs..I don't eat more than 30 or so carbs a meal..except the one a month or so that we go to pizza house..and we have been going a little more often..but I sill lose a little bit every week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weight Watchers does work. The trick as you learned is staying with it forever. My kids s aid the only way I could lose 35 ugly pounds was to cut off my head...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love food...when I'm really hungry, I can scare people, but the people I work with say I have 2 tapeworms, one speaks french, the other speaks english. I think I am my ideal weight,(I'm 62 yrs old, 5'11'' and weigh 140) but my only secrets are a love of physical activity and my masochistic compulsion for exercise. The other is that I never, ever eat between meals.
    I think eating healthy fresh food and staying away from too much meat goes a long way. I do grow most of the vegetables I eat. Never canned.
    Oh, yeah, one more...helpful hint...buy an ice cream maker. I have discovered that you can eat all the ice cream you want and not gain weight, but you have to make it yourself. It doesn't work with Ben & Jerry's....one of life's profound mysteries.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."