Wednesday, March 28, 2012



The weather in Maine this year has astounded even the old folks.  We had a modicum of snow in January and a few nights of below zero in February; but, then in March temperatures rose as much as fifty degrees above average for this time of year.  Last week the temperatures were near eighty degrees (unheard of) then two days ago the temps dropped back into the thirties.  Today we woke up to snow.

Now I am not complaining about the weather – my rub is the forecast.   In the case of our weather the forecasters were spot on.  

What a bummer.

I can remember a time when you would wake up and be surprised at the weather.   An unexpected snow was a marvel – something to be talked about and experienced. 

Today you know what is coming and there is no mystery and amazement.  So many mysteries of life have been co-opted by technology – and not necessarily for the good.   

Predictability is the drudge of routine.
the Ol'Buzzard


  1. I think we had 3 nights of below freezing..and we've had more days of 80's than 50's..all weird.

  2. The best predictor of tomorrow's weather is today's. Right 80% of the time. The other 20% - that is what the pros are for.

  3. We already have trees full of leaves, and flowers in bloom. All at least a month in advance. Unbelievable.

    I predict the sky is falling.

  4. Seventy degrees at 9 pm last night in Indianapolis. I have already seen bass moving in the lake - normally that doesn't happen until April. And, I have already moved my fishin tackle down to Evansville...

    Oh, got some nice ones too - We stocked the lake about five years ago with black crappie and large mouth bass.


  5. The only answer I've been able to come up with is to not watch news or weather reports if I don't feel like doing so.


COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."