Friday, February 11, 2022

A REPLY TO 'JUST GAIL' ON RAISED BED GARDENING

You commented on my post about my plans for a spring container garden in Maine, that you wished you could have a raised bed garden.   

One of the YouTube videos I watched has an idea for a movable raised bed garden.   


I am posting the video here, and perhaps it can give you ideas.   



The video is rambling, but the basic idea is intriguing. 


A number of decades ago, here in Maine, sewer sludge was used as a fertilizer in gardens in one of the most productive areas of the state, and now they are finding that the soils and wells of the area are contaminated with heavy metals.   There are a lot of organic gardeners in this area, and of course, they are devastated.   


I do believe that food from home grown gardens is far superior to commercial vegetables we buy at the supermarket, and there is even more control on home grown vegetables than perhaps from organic growers. 


In this time and age of food shortages and rising food cost, going back to Victory Gardens makes sense to me.   Any small amount of our food consumption that I can home grow will make me feel productive, and I will know that the quality of the food is good. 


the Ol'Buzzard

2 comments:

  1. I'm still pissed our apts won't let us have gardens any more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is very interesting. I've watched this one, and bookmarked her videos. Thank you for posting. IIRC, years ago when I subscribed to Organic Gardening magazine (I stopped subscribing when they ditched Mike McGrath as editor), they were raising the alarm about using sludge as fertilizer.
    I wonder if those who did take up gardening during pandemic will continue. Also, how much does social media and the tendency to post only beauty shots actually discourage people, thinking their efforts would never measure up?

    YDG - that totally stinks you are not allowed a garden. I wonder if they think it will turn into a mess? Either not taken care of and turning into a sea of weeds and dead plants, or dealing with being expected to referee non-gardeners helping themselves to the gardeners' work.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."