Sunday, December 23, 2018

MADEIRA WINE










I am a wine drinker.   The first bottles of wine I bought was Paul Masson Madeira from Tess Market in Brunswick, Maine back in the early 1960’s.     I have been drinking Madeira wine every since.
 

Some consider Madeira a dessert wine, but I find it a comfort win, especially with cheese or snacks.  It is said that Madeira was the favorite wine of George Washington and Thomas Jefferson.
 

Madeira originated on the Madeira Islands of Portugal.   I have drunk the Portuguese Madeira in Portugal and a friend occasionally brings me a bottle from the Madeira Festival in New Bedford, Massachusetts. 




Good Portuguese Madeira start around twenty-dollars a bottle; these Madeiras are a little too sweet for my taste.    There are cheaper Madeira, good for cooking, but I find most of them inferior.





My favorite Madeira is American made Paul Masson Madeira at around seven dollars a bottle.  This Madeira has a good smell, is not overly sweet and has a somewhat nutty taste.



 


If you are just trying Madeira, I would recommend Paul Masson; but a warning: Madeira is a fortified wine about 18%.   Enjoy a small glass with a snack, or as an after-dinner relaxer. 

the Ol'Buzzard


5 comments:

  1. I'm desperately trying and failing to remember the words to some British patter song that keeps repeating "Madeira, ma dear." I don't think I've ever had Madeira. Is it a kind of sherry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I hear the word "Madeira" I think of this song... "Have some Madeira my dear"
    http://www.metrolyrics.com/have-some-madeira-mdear-lyrics-the-limeliters.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really like sweet wines unless I'm going to make a reduction sauce for carrots or a dessert. I usually go for a nice dry Chateau St. Michelle Riesling which is a awesome wine from Washington state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might try Clean Slate Riesling - also great.
      O'B

      Delete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."