Friday, August 10, 2018

GOOGLE DOCS vs MICROSOFT WORD - A LITTLE HELP?








I have been paying for Microsoft Word for years.  Today I discovered that Google offers a free word processor - Google Docs - and it pretty much does everything that Word does; except it saves on the Cloud instead of on my hard drive.    

I am using this Google Docs document to try and post on my Ol’Buzzard blog, but find I am having some trouble.   At first I was seeing a blank post when previewed - then I realized that Docs was pasting a black fount on a black background.  I never had to make any adjustment with Word - it previewed as a white fount on Blogger.

I am considering terminating my costly Microsoft Works but I am concerned whether I will still be able to view all the Word documents I have saved to my hard drive.

Does anyone have any comments on Google Docs or if I will still be able to view Word docs saved to my computer?

Thanks
the Ol’Buzzard

6 comments:

  1. Sorry, OB -- I have no experience with Google Docs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been using Open Office & it's not what you asked about...but it has been working with all my MS word & excel sheets and it's free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just contact Google. I have talked with them via "G Suite." The techs are quite reliable. If they have no answer for you they will check it out for you.
    https://gsuite.google.com/support/

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have been using Libre Office, an open source MS Office clone. If you configure it to save in .doc format it acts like MSword. https://www.libreoffice.org/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never liked Word. It's never been as good as WordPerfect was. There is another alternative to Word if you're doing short, simple stuff, which is what most blog posts tend to be: Notepad. It hides in the Windows Accessories so it's easy to forget it's there, but it's easy to use for text.

    As for Google Docs, I've used it. It works but I'm skeptical about using anything that exists in "the cloud." The device I'm using at the moment came loaded with an automatic link to OneDrive. I've had stuff supposedly being saved in OneDrive that vanished for no apparent reason.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."