Monday, March 27, 2017

THE OL'BUZZARD ATTENDS CHURCH





Last Thursday night I went to church. 






 Actually I was there to attend an art venue: a concert by the Irish Descendants.   I had not been in a church for a number of decades and I was surprised how it affected me.   A large stained glass representation of a tall, sandy hair Jesus stared down at me from over the alter.  I felt absolutely disgusted as everything in the church screamed of hypocrisy.  

The tendency of our race to portray the image of Jesus and the disciples in conformance with our cultural norms was clearly on display, when anthropology states the Galilean Semites men of that era were dark skinned, dark hair with average height around five feet and weight about 110 pounds.

The ostentatious display of décor - ornate architecture, carpeting, engraved pews, six stained glass windows, rich alter trimmings – stood in the face of the poster asking the congregation for used coats for underprivileged school children.

All in all it seemed surreal as the Irish Descendants sang about a sailor getting laid by a hooker and having his clothes stolen.

the Ol’Buzzard





  

3 comments:

  1. And for some reason when I think about that kind of church, Mac Davis starts singing in my head. "Gee but it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Irish Descendants. Church not so much. Christianity, including Orthodoxy is mainly a European religion thanks to Rome and Constantinople. So making God in their own likeness is not too surprising. As to names, I suspect that the European world adopted the Bible names as they were in the 2nd or 3rd century so they became European names. Even the Bible quotes Shakespeare as someone once quipped.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."