Monday, July 29, 2019

MAN OF THE PRESENT










I don’t have a past.   That person of forty years ago, or fifty years ago is not me.  There is not one single molecule in my body that existed in my avatar.  I don’t think the same, I don’t have the same values, I don’t desire the same things; I see and interact with the world totally different as an eighty-year-old man.  


I am me – today – that is who I am.


Who was that guy?   He’s not me!

the Ol’Buzzard

"One and the same human being is, at various ages, under various circumstances, a totally different human being."

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
The Gulag Archipelago 




5 comments:

  1. I think we all know our minds don't age, we just forget how something really happened most of the time because it sounds better than what really happened. That's my story and I'm sticking to it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kind of boggles the mind in some ways, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do agree...at least in my case. I'm not sure everyone feels the same way, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally I am glad I am not the man I used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately I, myself, could still afford to dispense with a lot of the "old me"
    ...I've aged physically and biologically, but my mind is still stuck in my adolescence, 20s, and 30s emotionally. And I'm still passionate about a lot of the same things I enjoyed in childhood, teens, and 20s and 30s. A lot of my personal interests are still the same.
    So this matter is purely subjective, dependent on the individual-in-question.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."