Wednesday, January 20, 2016

NINE DEGREES AND FORTY MILES PER HOUR WIND IN MAINE TONIGHT




WIND


I am obsessed with the wind
Of all natures children
Of all natures gods
It is the wind that awes me most

I can view the sunrise and sunset
And feel the sun's warmth on my skin,
I can appreciate the eerie light of a full moon
reflected on a snowbound world,
I can see and hear the tumbling water of a stream
And experience the pleasant serenity of a lake.

But it is the wind

I can welcome the soft touch of a snowflake
as it kisses my face,
And shiver as the rain soaks my clothes
and chills my frame,
I can hear thunder 
and startle at the streak of lightning ripping the sky.

But it is the wind that speaks to me.


I have bask at the fire that brings contentment
and warmth to my home,
And choked as my lungs fill with smoke 
as the forest burned away,
I have driven on the ice
on the Kuskokwim River.

But it is the wind

I have seen the northern light
blaze in the twenty-four-hour night,
I have felt the penetrating chill
of the cold at fifty below,
But it is the wind
the wind I remember most.

Huddled in my bed in a tiny log cabin
In the darkness of the never ending Arctic night
While the wind outside, unrelenting, warned me
‘You do not belong here.  This is my world.  I rule here.  Hear me and quake.”

It is the wind
The relentless wind that keeps me awake tonight.



1 comment:

  1. I love the howling of wind..love the wind blowing thru my barefeet while riding on the handle bars of a bike..(long story)..

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."