Thursday, November 27, 2014

WHY SWEAT OVER A STOVE ALL DAY TO PRODUCE A MEAL THAT WILL BE EATEN IN LESS THAN AN HOUR?



save a turkey - eat a chicken!

 ANOTHER SLOW COOKER RECIPEE

After reading Kulkuri’s comment about baked beans on an earlier post about slow cooker cooking, I decided to share my slow cooker bean recipe: should anyone be interested.  

I soak baby lima beans overnight.  Place them in the slow cooker next morning, cover them with two chopped onions, a ham steak cut into one inch cubes, a cup of diced celery, two minced garlic cloves, a can of diced tomatoes, one bay leaf, a teaspoon each of dried oregano, thyme and basil, a dash of crushed red peppers to taste and four cups of Chicken stock (again we use McKays.)
 
I set the cooker to high and cook about six to seven hours.
   
Baked beans, a glass of cold beer (Canadian) and crusty bread – you can’t find a better winter feed.




THANKSGIVING IS SLOW COOKER TIME AGAIN

A five pound chicken (I prefer chicken to turkey) stuffed with two lemons quartered; add I cup of chicken broth, two garlic cloves, a bay leaf and sprinkle the bird with Herbs of Provence. Cook on high for six hours.

My wife will make mashed potatoes, savory dressing, green peas and cranberry sauce when we are ready to eat - a glass of  Beaujolais.

Life is good. 

The only way this could be any better would be to live in France and work in a vineyard like microdot.

the Ol'Buzzard


5 comments:

  1. I really like a turkey smoked in the Weber after brining, I have never tried a chicken.
    I used the bread machine last night & pulled the paddle before the last rise. Worked great, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree -- a turkey for two people results in endless leftovers. A chicken is better. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you had much to be thankful for...I did here. My wife got back from the doctor last night after having the stitches removed from her eye from the last operation. He told her in about a week, she should have better sight in the eye than she ever had...She wore glasses her entire life and now will never have to use them again! My thanksgiving dinner? I had roasted a chicken the night before and we had leftover chicken salad sandwiches...my celery, parsley and lettuce from our garden and home made mayo and I made frites (french fries to you guys) and even indulged my self by allowing myself to put ketchup on the table! YUM! But my treat was a traditional Perigourdine speciality, a gateau au noix...My village is on a road named La Route de la Noix...walnuts are the main cash crop here, so we use them in a lot of different ways. I have a pic of the gateau and the recipe on my blog...Slow cooking is country style here. Entire meals from one pot! Here you can get hens, called Poule which if you roasted, would be very tough, they are really cheap. But if you slowly boil them, they have much more flavor than a regular chicken and you boil it with carrots, leeks, turnips and an onion with a few cloves stuck in it. You serve the poule with a sauce flavored with the broth and then ;the broth makes a few days worth of soup! I do brining with pork occasionally. Have you ever had the classic French slow cooked bean dish, cassoulet? j'adore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit I am ignorant of French cooking. I did spend some time in Portugal and love Portuguese food. I think that country cooking is the best. As a young child in Mississippi I had a friend who was the son of a share cropper: I remember meals at his house like butterbeans cooked with bacon drippings and biscuits. It was delicious when we ate it hot and as good cold when we came back late at night after coon hunting.
      Too much preparation and expectation of clean-up can ruin the meal for the cook (me.)
      O'B

      Delete
  4. No slow cookers in Ukraine that I have found and I do miss my slow cooker.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."