Monday, January 13, 2014

PERHAPS WE ARE MARGINALLY INTELLIGENT CREATURES LIVING IN A MEANINGLESS WORLD.










Most everyone knows the fable of the frog and the scorpion. 

A scorpion wishing to cross a river approaches a frog on the bank.

‘Please help me Mr. Frog – I must get across the river – let me ride on your back.’

The frog replies, ‘If I let you on my back you will sting and kill me.”

‘Never,’ the scorpion says ‘for I can not swim and if I were to sting you I also would die.’

‘What would stop you from killing me once we reach the other side?’

The scorpion says, ‘I could kill you now; but if you help me I will be forever indebted to you.’

The frog agrees to carry the scorpion, but half way across the river the scorpion stings the frog.

‘Why have you done this?’ the frog asks.  ‘Now we shall both die.’

‘I cannot help myself,’ the scorpion replies.  ‘It is my nature.”


We live on a small blue planet: one of a billion-billion planets circling a billion-billion stars in one of a billion-billion galaxies.   We are the product of chance – the results of chaos.   Our species has been on this earth a relatively short time.   We evolved as a basic animal, and our animal instincts allowed us to procure the food, shelter and sex we needed for the survival of our species.  The ability and willingness of the male to kill, rape, murder and seek vengeance determined his pecking order and his success in the primitive pack.  

These same instincts are ingrained in our DNA even today, but are antithetic to modern society and the rule of law and the ethos of civilization.   These same ingrained male primitive instincts are the reason for our wars, our violence, our inability to live peacefully and the callous divides between the have and the have not’s. 

To see the real unvarnished human nature you only have to watch middle-school children on a play ground.   

The real violence and mayhem we are capable of as adults rears it head during war time – in a combat zone. 




I personally am aware of the violence and atrocities I am capable of committing. 

I make no apologies (though I have regrets) for this is my nature.  

the Ol’Buzzard


7 comments:

  1. Once again I stand in awe and admiration of your writing skill and subject matter. If I could express it this well, I wouldn't be so angry with myself for some of the posts I write. If it is ok with you I would like to compliment you on my blog and give everyone a head's up and link. You deserve an audience my friend. the rat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Succinct and soo true. I also have debts to pay .....

    ReplyDelete
  3. OB,
    War is like the monsoons in Asia, the famine in Africa, AIDS, greed, gluttony, and pride.

    I agree with Rat - You write some damned good stuff.


    Thanks,

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  4. that was the most impressive writing I'm come upon on the internet since I got on in the late 90's...you rock.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I followed Mr Rat's link & here I am.
    It's in the DNA, a very solid truth....

    Our society has spent a great deal of time & money changing (well trying) mankind's age old practice of "if you can take it and keep it it's yours".

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used the Frog and Scorpion story last year to try to explain the Tea Party...I beieve you commented on it, but lately, I have expanded my mythological theories...In fact now, I am embracing a Unified Theory of Philosophy that unites Star Wars and Jean-Paul Sartre! Nothingness! I Embrace You!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."