Monday, November 4, 2013

PORK STEW IN SLOW COOKER



We have finally passed through fall.   The weather forecast for tomorrow is for the possibility of snow showers with temperatures in the high thirties.   We have our oil tank filled and our wood supply in.   I have one or two more projects to complete before I can, with a clear conscience, settle down into our winter mode.   Winter for us is a time for self absorption: we read, make soups and fresh bread, prepare meals in the slow cooker, watch old movies, drink wine and generally enjoy the shelter of our house from the elements outside.

Winter time is the time for slow cooker meals.   I put together a pork stew yesterday and it turned out great.

Our cooker: different meal.

   
I cut a pork roast into two inch chunks.
Covered it with one large onion sliced, two stalks of celery sliced, three carrots sliced, three garlic cloves thinly sliced, one white potato cubed, one sweet potato cubed, a two pound butternut squash cut into large cubes, ¼ teaspoon of ground nutmeg, two bay leaves, ¾ cups of raisins, finally adding one cup of water with three tablespoons of maple syrup mixed in, and two tablespoon of maple syrup drizzled over the finish product. 
I cooked it on high for five hours: it was delicious. 


the Ol'Buzzard

5 comments:

  1. I agree. There's nothing like stews during the colder months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And being pretty damn French, Tartiflette! My wife made one for me 2 nights ago because I spent a few hours cutting wood...it's better on the second day...with potatoes and onions from my garden...reblochon cheese, white wine and the type of bacon we call here, chunks of lardon! I fantasize about tartiflette! Last year in their ongoing attempt to prove that they are really "French", there were billboards in Perigueux touting something called a MacTartiflette...I really don't want to go there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having mixed beans and ham along with jalepeno cornbread tonight, Sraped just a bit of rim ice off the KIA yesterday am...

    Bests,

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love ham and beans...especially butter beans.
      O'B

      Delete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."