Monday, October 5, 2020

I HAVE COMMITED MYSELF TO THE ASYLUM TO GET AWAY FROM THE INSANE

 




 

There comes a time when a man realizes his mortality.   Being an octogenarian, what ever the fuck that means, I have come to the realization that a life style change is in order.

  

I am still in great shape for my age, but I realize that I am well past my sell-by-date and I need to make adjustments for my young wife.   She would not be able to maintain our home in the woods; heating with firewood, snow removal, house and yard maintenance etc.  when I no longer exist.  

 

We have purchased a manufactured home and placed it in a small park of mostly retired seniors.  

 

That said, we had our TV disconnected from cable a month ago at the beginning of our move.    For one month we have had no television.   We listen to Maine Public Radio and Maine Public Classical for most of the day, and at night watch a Netflix or Britbox movie.  

 

No Trump for a month.   It has been glorious; no daily outrage followed by another the next day and another the next day…  

 

No lies, outrageous comments, assaults on our democratic society, racist rants or bigoty on a daily basis, screamed by a would-be dictator who is totally unfit for his job as President of the United States.  

 

We have purchased a ‘smart TV’ and I managed to mount it a few days ago.   We can now watch Netflix and Britbox on a large screen in our living room.   The down side is that my wife wants HULU which carries MSNBC.    I dread the intrusion this will be on our new peaceful life.  

 

 

AN ASIDE:   Cable television in our area cost $150 plus, and I can stream Netflix, Britbox and Hulu for around $75.   This gives me two movie channels and with HULU I will be able to access the local channels and all the channels we would watch on cable. 

 

 

ON THE UPSIDE:  Marijuana sales will be legal in Maine on the eighth of this month.

 

 

 


15 comments:

  1. Congrats on your new home and may you be very happy there! You are wise to downsize and handle the transition yourselves while you're both healthy instead of waiting until there is an actual crisis to do so (which unfortunately is what many people do).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debra, this is just a new beginning; a reset. We have done lots of them.
      OB

      Delete
  2. There is a lot to be said for not watching the main stream media...
    On a side note I'm guessing that with the new home wood will not be the primary heat source this winter? Better on so many levels but it's like something is missing ...

    Have you seen "the social dilemma" on netflix? I thought it was worth the hour and a half, left me thinking...

    Enjoy your autumn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob, no firewood, but we will still have the Maine winter to contend with. Haven't seen Social Dilemma, but will check it out. We had a beautiful autumn despite the drought. However, last week we had a storm with high winds and heavy rain and pretty much brought the color to an end.
      O.B

      Delete
  3. I read this all to David and he laughed when I got to the weed part. He loves when I read your blog to him especially if it's funny. So did you sell your home in the woods?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leanne, haven't sold yet; but hope it moves before the snow brings house buying to a hault.
      O.B.

      Delete
  4. As we slide into winter here I've been thinking about the S.O. and I maybe getting on the waiting list for geezer housing in town. At this point we can still cope with snow plowing and hauling firewood but it's a little harder every year. On the other hand, we have limited access to news media and there are times when ignorance is bliss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was time for a change for us. We will have to adjust to people around; we are not social animals. We are like the badger in The Wind in the Willows.
      O.B.

      Delete
  5. Let's hear it for legal weed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...But I'll miss your profound insights into the Sicko who would be king. Don't get too mellow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish you all happiness in your new home and new location. I trust you will find friends there among like minded people. Getting old is not for sissies but beats the alternative. Stay safe. Can you still go to the woods when you need nature close by?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maine, away from the coast is sparsely populated and are still surrounded by wilderness. We could not live in a populated area. There are about sixteen other units in this park and thanks to the Covid, we have not had to meet anyone. We remain private people.
      My wife really loves the new place and we are looking forward to spending the winter reading and just kicking back - as much as you can in a Maine winter.
      O.B

      Delete
  8. have you considered getting a firestick and then downloading a couple apps like kodi and cinema? you will be able to get all of those channels plus everything else and all movies..for free..I wouldn't be able to get any of that here in west as we have no cable here..either sat dish or pay for sling etc..if you decide to try it..let me know and I can walk you thru it..with the help of youtube videos..if you have good wifi or internet connection it's a wonderful thing to have..firestick costs about 40.00..that's you're only money outlay.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."