Tuesday, October 15, 2019

SPOKEN ENGLISH








Remember when you diagrammed sentences in English class?


I am far from precise in spoken English; so, this is not a complaint, but an observation.


My wife and I were walking in the University gym today when I heard a young girl talking to a friend: ‘We left, like, two-thirty this morning….’


What part of speech is like?  Like is in common usage with everyone under thirty – and many older.   It is not used as a noun, it is not a verb, it is not a conjunction, it is not modifying anything –   do we need to invent a new part of speech?


I think we should indoctrinate young children to replace like with what the fuck.  

We left, what the fuck, two-thirty this morning…

Like, Wow!
What the fuck, Wow!

And I was, like, I’m not going.
And I was, what the fuck, I’m not going.

I said, like, really?
I said, what the fuck, really?

You have got to admit this replacement would make speech a lot more colorful. 

the Ol’Buzzard

7 comments:

  1. Just drives me nutz to "like" hear it...
    If I'm watching a late night show and the guest starts up with that like shit...click next channel...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just drives me nutz to "like" hear it...
    If I'm watching a late night show and the guest starts up with that like shit...click next channel...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's like, crazy, right? One thing I hate is when I hear under 30's reading to someone or talking and their voice sounds like they ate reading a questing with every sentence. Their voice goes up an octave at the ending of a sentence as if there is a hidden question. It's like, really crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AND it doesn't really change the meaning! Even better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I remember diagramming very well. I suspect it's not used in modern schools but it was effective in teaching sentence structure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad my son is 20 plus years out of school. I can see him taking this to English class. As it was his Grade 9 English teacher retired at the end of the year. One day in class from out of no where and apropos to nothing he blurted out "some people after sex smoke a cigarette. Me I smoke a ham."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no!!! Not the F-word. Nothing debases the speaker more than that word. I immediately think "getto, uncouth, un-educated" when I hear someone use the F-word in casual conversation. Personally, I save it for really extreme situations, like the Trump/Erdogan conversation. WTF?

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."