Saturday, July 28, 2018

VINTAGE KING




Image result for stephen king the outsider







I have just finished Stephen King’s new book The Outsider.   This is a dark book reminding me of Carrie.   I have always felt King’s earlier books were his best.  The last twenty years his books have not reached out and grabbed me from around a dark corner – the kind of stories that send chills up your spine – though they are always a good read. 

This book is dark and disturbing and may be an uncomfortable read for many.   It is about a shape-shifter and the violent rape, murder, mutilation and cannibalism of young children.  Some of the descriptions are guaranteed to disrupt your sleep.   I am pretty calloused, but I could not read it at bedtime. 

That said; I recommend it.  It is a page turner.
the Ol’Buzzard


3 comments:

  1. I used to read a lot of Stephen King (the earlier ones). I think I stopped at about Christine (the possessed car). By your description, I'm not sure I would want to read this one. As I get older, I want less gore and hate in my reading. I did love the movie adaptation of The Green Mile. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 1/3 of the way into the book. I stopped reading it when I can't sleep at night but it's pretty damned good. I wonder if that is the reason why I have insomnia?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stopped with Pet Sematary. King is a wonderfully gifted writer, but I lost Pet Sematery turned me off sufficiently that I haven't read anything new by him in many years. FWIW, the absolute most horrifying stories by him are his short stories. Can't recall the title of it now, but one of his early short stories made me decide I didn't want to drink cheap beer from a can ever again.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."