Monday, July 3, 2017

MY MORNING MEDITATION










I have a routine I try an adhere to each morning.   Right out of bed I go downstairs and drink a small glass of orange juice to add electrolytes to my body; then back upstairs, stretch out, and workout twenty minutes on my Total Gym.   I go from one exercise to the next without a break in-between and by the time I am finished I am in an aerobic state.

I turn around on the gym seat and place both my feet firmly on the floor, place my right hand in my left palm with thumbs touching, close my eyes and focus on slowing down my breathing.   After about a minute I am conscious of my heart beat and I focus on slowing down my heart rate.  That done, I focus on breathing for a few breaths and then totally blank my mind.     I spend no more than five minutes in meditation after workout – and I don’t time it.  

Anyone can do this with a committed practice.   It begins with finding a quiet, private place to meditate.   Sit comfortably on a pillow, a stool or a chair.  Close your eyes and focus on your breathing: visualize the breaths going in as you expand your stomach and visualize the air exiting as you release the breath.   Breath with your diaphragm.  Relax.   If your mind wanders bring it back to your breaths.   Spend no more than five minutes – but don’t time it.   When you feel totally relaxed open your eyes, focus around you and then gradually, comfortably, move your body and continue your normal day. 

With a minute’s meditation (even in a doctor’s office) I can bring down my blood pressure ten to fifteen points.    And you can too.    

As meditation becomes natural to you, you will find you can control anxiety, and relax your body, and focus your mind in times of stress; and with five minutes morning practice you can begin each day in a better frame of mind.  


the Ol’Buzzard

5 comments:

  1. That's a great practice, O.B. Many years ago, I read the book "The Relaxation Response" (which is essentially about breath control and meditation) and it made a big difference in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned a technique quite similar to what you have described. When I had PTSD from my near fatal car accident, I begged my psych (Psychologist) for something other than taking antidepressants all the time. I wanted something without the pills. He sent me to an Indian who was big on treating patients through meditation and deep breathing exercises. It did wonders for me. I'm still on antidepressants but it's a lighter dose. I meditate three times a day for ten to twenty minutes. It helps me cope with my PTSD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've tried it off and on for years and years..can't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My anxiety is so bad that I can't turn off my mind. I've stopped trying. When I need to meditate, I chant or bang on the drum. Rhythm can slow heartbeat too, thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even without the routine, each time I meditate (or even just lie still for ten minutes without fidgeting) has wonderful effects for a long time.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."