Friday, September 29, 2023

ENJOY YOURSELF IT'S LATER THAN YOU THINK

 



I am approaching my ninth decade and the reality is that I am well past my sell-by date.   As I look back at my life, the only one I can truly judge, I would like to be able to make an inspirational statement about the richness of human existence; but I can’t.

 

The reality has already been expressed by the Bard:


Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,

Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,

To the last syllable of recorded time;

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools

The way to dusty death.  Out, out, brief candle!

Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player,

That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,

And then is heard no more. It is a tale

By an idiot, full of sound and fury,

Signifying nothing.

 

I do value my time left upon this stage.  I enjoy time spent with my wife, reading books, eating good food, and experiencing the beauty of this earthly environment; but life has no real meaning beyond personal gratification.

 

We humans claim to be intelligent creatures; but as compared to what?  Chimpanzees? 

 

The human race goes from war to war; from political chaos to political chaos; from ethnic cleansing to ethnic cleansing; the rich ignore the poor, the sick, and the underprivileged;  violence is most often racially or religiously motivated; religious ignorance permeates the human condition; the human race has brought most wild creatures to extinction, and we have decimated the environment.

 

We are a violent species – one of the few that regularly kill our own kind;  We are a virus on this earth and propagating at an unsustainable rate. 


Humans are on this earth as an accident of chaos.   The universe doesn’t know we are here or care.    




the Ol'Buzzard




 


2 comments:

  1. Focus on what you enjoy and just let go of the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When our civilization disappears off the earth, as other civilizations have over the eons, the earth will heal itself and we will be forgotten. Every species is driven to reproduce itself which is fine unless you ask why we should, to what purpose. I'm not sure we have a purpose for being here

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."