Wednesday, December 9, 2020

TRYING TO GET BACK TO NORMAL

 



 

Can you remember way back when every day was not about Trump?  There was a time when we had a normal life.   A time when we didn’t wear mask and idiots did not scream and rant about their freedoms.

 

Last week my thirteen-year-old bread machine (Breadman Ultra) finally gave up the ghost.   Yesterday I purchased a new Cuisinart bread maker

 



 

I would have gone with another Breadman, but they now have such bad reviews I changed brands.   The paddle system in the new Breadman machines is a bad design and a real headache, and the machine quality is not the same. 

 

Last night I made my first loaf of basic white bread and the Cuisinart works great.


 


  The machine beeps at the end of the second knead to remind you to remove the paddle, or allow you to reshape the dough for oven baking. 

 

Just like any other endeavor, baking bread in a bread machine takes practice.  The machines are fool proof; but to consistently turn out good loafs you have to learn to adjust the water and flower during the first kneed to reach the right dough consistency.  After that, the world of homemade breads is unlimited.  

 

Like planting a garden and heating with firewood, there is something about making homemade bread that is comforting: tying us back to another time before technology took over our lives – a time of stability and calm.    And home made bread taste better and is healthier than the ‘bakers fog’ they sell at the supermarkets. 


the Ol'Buzzard  


5 comments:

  1. I love homemade bread, but I've never bought a bread maker precisely because of that -- I'd end up eating WAY TOO MUCH bread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The S.O. and I have toyed with the idea of buying a bread machine, but he likes doing sourdough the old fashioned way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the old fashioned method of baking bread in loaf pans and the smell from the oven is amazing. Bread from machines are just too small but to each his or her own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my son bought me a bread maker one year...I was thrilled till I realized it only makes one loaf at a time. When I bake I bake for the multitudes..so I exchanged it for a record player.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We quit making home made bread a few years back because we ate it faster than Tanya could make it. She dug the machine out today and yes, we have half devoured the loaf already

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."