Saturday, November 9, 2019

TECHNOBROTHER 2084









I recently posted a rant about cell phones and how, I believed, people would be amenable to a cell phone chip implant, in order to be connected, 24/7, to their phone.


The statement was a glib jab at people’s obsessive cell phone use. 


The idea of an implant, at the posting, seemed an absurd example.


At my age, eighth decade, sleep follows a predictable pattern: a nap if I feel like it in the afternoon and six hours averaged at night; which means, I wake between four-thirty and five, in the quiet of the morning, and this is the time that my monkey mind takes control and I occupy the realm of imagination.


This morning it was cell phone implants.   Actually, a cell phone implant is not such an absurd idea, as the technology exist today.   Amazon’s Alexa voice recognition- pods can control your home, send texts, play music, and generally control all the electronic functions in your life.  

The medical technology exists to wire the synapse in your brain to machine functions, so it would not be a giant leap to develop the micro-miniature chip implant that could connect you, through Wi-Fi, to a service similar to Alexa. 
   

If cell phone towers were converted to Wi-Fi towers you could be connected to the world, through your implant, from any place on earth: Alexa send text; Alexa start my car; Alexa play music; Alexa turn off the lights; Alexa set my security system; Alexa start the coffee pot; Alexa book travel plans…


The chip could also hold all your financial and medical information that would allow you to make purchases at stores, or check into a hospital with just a scan.   You would no longer need a driver’s license, or personal ID.    You would not need a passport to travel the world.


How possible would it be for geographic nations to become secondary to the citizenship of your electronic Nation?    Are you a citizen of Apple; are you an Amazon citizen; are you Samsung…?


Present governments would love a bionic society.   They could locate you; they could listen in to your private conversations; they could read your text messages; they could judge your mental and physical state; They would know EVERYTHING about you: what foods you eat, who you communicate with, what purchases you make, who you are sleeping with and how often; and by accessed video cameras in your home, they could watch you.  It would move Orwell’s 1984 to a new level: Big Brother of 2084 – total surveillance.
 

I not only think this technology is possible; but I think it is probable in the future.    The question is, how much personal privacy are people willing to relinquish to be a member of the techno-herd?   I think that question has already been answered: check out Facebook etc.  








the Ol'Buzzard






5 comments:

  1. Not willing to be part of 2084 . . . yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like being “away” from all the noise. An implant, he’ll, just the cell phone and computer.... make that less likely to be chosen.

    PipeTobacco

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya, Ol'Buzzard. I just popped over from Debra's blog for a look-see. This post reminded me of a show I recently watched on HBO called 'Years and Years' set in present day yet features a more technologically advanced society. I think it would be of interest to you. I don't want to give anything away lest you do decide to check it out. It's a timely seemingly prescient series.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."