Saturday, September 10, 2016

WHAT IS ALEPPO?





On Morning Joe, Presidential candidate Gary Johnson was asked what his plans would be for Aleppo.   His answer was ‘What is Aleppo?’  

I did not know the name Aleppo, except that I had heard the name mentioned, briefly - at one time or another, in connection to Syria.  

I probably watch three hours of news every day on TV, and yet all I hear about is Donald Trump and Hilary Clinton or the latest shooting.    The internet News app on Windows 10 is not better.

Granted, my go to station is MSNBC and occasionally CBS; and, like most of America, I am ignorant of world news – or any news outside of ‘Breaking News’ in the US. 

I do have BBC America on my satellite package, but I rarely view it. 

My ignorance is my fault for not aggressively seeking world news; but I am probably a-typical for most Americans.    I like hearing the slant on the news that I want to hear; and so I am constantly fed dumbed down bull shit disguised as news.

There are wars and conflicts and famine and pestilence all over the world, and that is the usual state of the human race - that is who we are - and most of us are comfortably ignorant of it.

Yet, while Donald Trump gets unlimited air time to spout his ignorance, Dancing with the Stars gets a new cast, Good Morning America cooks the latest hot wings dish and the NFL football season begins – North Korea explodes their fifth nuclear bomb and fires intermediate range missiles into the Sea of Japan, and it is only mentioned in passing on the major news channels.



We had better start paying attention.
the Ol’Buzzard




7 comments:

  1. I look at Twitter regularly and I find Reuters and BBC News do a better job of providing news than any of our domestic "news".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that on MSNBC too. Johnson should be let off the hook. I'm either reading or watching the news everyday now and there never has been anything of substance about Aleppo except for the pictures of that little kid pulled from the rubble and sitting in an ambulance last week. Everything on the news is about Trump or Hillary, it's ridiculous. You are also right about GMA. They are a waste of time. 1/2 hour of news when they come on and the rest of their allotted time on the show is garbage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read 2 papers, and every internet news organization there is..I likes to know shit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh and I knew where Aleppo is and had an answer to the questions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All this stuff comes across my Facebook News Feed and in my Outlook Mailbox from sites I subscribe to. I cannot avoid it even if I wanted to. Watching TV is a total wast of time. Tanya gets her news from Ukrainian and Russian TV and doesn't believe anything. Websites of major newspapers carry world news on their internet sites: WaPo, NYT, Economist etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since I don't think it's possible to trust any single news source I prefer to check out several websites that feature in-depth articles. Unz is a pretty decent one.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."