Thursday, September 22, 2016

THE STORY OF WATER








I never thought about water when I was younger.  Water was free.  The thought that anyone would sell or buy water seemed ridiculous.   It never occurred to me that water would not be fit to drink.  

In the Mississippi Delta town where I grew up in the 1950’s our water was the color of week tea.   In the town swimming pool there was almost no sunlight penetrating at the eight-foot depth – the water was browner the deeper you went.    Everyone drank the water and no one was ever concerned.

In the early 1980's we carried buckets of water for drinking and bathing from the stream behind the house  

When we moved into the Native villages in Alaska in 1985 the first thing that stood out was that the water was not only bad tasting, but probably dangerous. There were gold mines in the area and an oil slick on the water.   We bought distiller and have drunk distilled water ever since. 



I am convinced that the water most of us drink is probably more toxic than the food we eat and that as the world population increases water will become a scarce resource and more toxic.  

For the last twenty years my wife and I have been on well water and the test say it is drinkable – just like chicken in the supermarket is eatable.   Maybe at my age I shouldn’t be concerned. 

By the way I do eat the chicken: well done.

the Ol’Buzzard

5 comments:

  1. I believe Canada has the largest fresh water reserves in the world. When the world's water supply goes to ratshit, we fully expect to be invaded by the USA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You called it, Lady. I have been saying that for years.

      Delete
  2. I was wondering if you had read the Erin Brockovich artical about Chromium-6 in the nation's water supply. I read it in Mother Earth News this morning. My county and the surrounding counties have >0.02-1.00 ppb. Your state is 99% the same as my county It doesn't amaze me one bit. People are just not doing their jobs. They have no conscience.
    If you haven't read it yet here it is.
    http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2016/09/erin-brockovich-chemical-two-third-americas-water-supply

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW look at Hawaii. They're screwed. at >1.01 - 5.0 ppb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are lucky in that there hasn't been a lot of industry around us other than logging. In the area the depth of water wells varies greatly. Our well was drilled down 32 feet and the casing pulled up 6 feet to install a 6 foot screen. Others a mile or two away have gone down several hundred feet without getting a usable recovery rate.

    Our well was tested by the health dept after being drilled and tested OK. I wasn't worried as I have been drinking the water on this place all my life. From a dug well and from a point driven in the ground and now a drilled well. I'm not quite as old as you, but I have reached a very sexy age!!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."