Thursday, September 8, 2016

MY BUCKET LIST IS EMPTY








I recently run across references to bucket list and that got me thinking.   A bucket list contains something that you always wanted to do but were never able.  

I can honestly say that I have done everything that I ever wanted to do.  

As a child my dreamed were of hunting and fishing and camping in remote wilderness areas; I ordered the U.S. Navy Survival Manuel and practically memorized it; I dreamed of canoe trips through wild rivers; I fantasized about living off the grid with a beautiful, sexy woman; I wanted to scuba dive and sky dive; I dreamed of living in the Alaska wilderness; and of cars and motorcycles.


As an adult:
·       I joined the Navy, and along with other assignments I spent eight years as a Navy survival instructor
·       I was a licensed Maine State Guide
·       I ran the Allagash river in Maine – a ten-day canoe trip.
·       And transited the Okefenokee swamps in a canoe – a ten-day trip
·       I was a licensed scuba diver and assistant instructor, and operated my own diving company in Florida.
·       My wife and I lived in an old, remote farmhouse with no water, electricity or sewerage while we attended college and made love.
·       We spent eleven years in the Indian and Eskimo villages of Alaska as teachers.
·       I have owned numerous motorcycles and cars
·       I made my first solo parachute jump when I turned seventy.
·       I live with a sensuous, sexy, intelligent woman
·       And so much more…

We still have little trips and we enjoy the same simple pleasures; but nothing that’s deserving of a bucket list is left for me to do.

the Ol’Buzzard


6 comments:

  1. You forgot to mention you learned to toot your own horn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a fortunate man and I know it. I have also done a lot of shit things in that I am not proud of; but at this time in my life I am happy with who I am.
      O'B

      Delete
  2. You're a lucky man! You have literally "lived the dream" -- good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You tend to take stock when you know you are approaching the end. I guess that is where I am now. Didn't mean this as a brag; but just to say I have no regrets.
      O'B

      Delete
  3. Lot of places in the world I have not seen and a great many books still to read. Not sure whether I have or will yet make a difference to the beef industry in Ukraine but that is the only thing I would really like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanna go to Ireland, Iceland and Australia..but I hate to travel..so my bucket list now is I want to see The Heavy in live concert..

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."