Friday, September 30, 2016

FALL COLOR, AGING UNGRACEFULLY, A GENERATIONAL DIFFERENCE: RAMBLINGS





My wife and I took a ride yesterday to look at the fall colors.  We stopped at a roadside park known as Small Falls.   



While there she took a picture of me – and I can’t believe how fucking old I look. 



I am not a vain person and don’t spend time looking in the mirror, and if the picture is a real representation of my looks – I find it hard to believe that the old fuck in the picture is really me.  

I don’t feel that old – or maybe I do.   A little.

Anyway, it has occurred to me that one major difference in young men of today to young men of my day is what they carry in their pockets.   All my life I have carried a pocket knife.  I would bet that not one in a hundred young men even own a pocket knife. 

 

I would feel undressed without my pocket knife; just like the young men of today would feel undressed without their cell phone.

I’m just saying

the Ol’Buzzard 

4 comments:

  1. Undressed a good word but I'm 63. I'll bet none of my kids know where their pocket knives are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought a three blade Stockman's knife when I was 10 years old. I think my son has it still, though it is the worse for wear. If I were farming, I would still carry a knife, no question.
    And you do NOT look old. You look like a grizzled woodsman. Which is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have and carry a Barlow given to me by my granddaddy when I was 12 or so. The only time I don't carry it is at airports or government buildings. Such is the state of the world today.

    BTW, you look fit and trim and old is a state of mind. But...I do know what you're saying. Every time Ilook in a mirror, I can't believe that's me...and after ten years or so, I'm still not used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have carried a pocket knife since I can remember. Now I carry a Leatherman, it has a knife blade and various tools like screwdrivers and pliers.

    Age is a case of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it don't matter!!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."