Tuesday, September 20, 2016

A PEP TALK FROM THE OL'BUZZARD





As you grow older, staying fit is the most important part of remaining healthy.    What we eat and how much exercise we get and how we handle stress are the major defenses against aging and sickness. 

I have been a sometimes Buddhist for a number of years, and need to get back to meditation.   We try to eat local produce as much as possible and stay away from processed foods – though I do love bacon…   My wife and I have a subscription to the college gym, but due to weather, and the focus it takes to get up and get dress and travel into town, we don’t utilize it like we should. 

This is the solution we have found.   I have dumbbells and try to discipline myself to five minutes of weight exercises every other day.  I keep a ten-pound barbell beside my computer chair and when I think of it do a few curls.   Three days a week, when the weather permit, I walk the road for at least a mile.  Two years ago we purchased an exercise bicycle on e-bay for just over one hundred dollars and my wife uses it every day.  

I had constantly seen advertisements about the Total Gym on the commercial- let-me-sell-you-something channels on Direct TV.    About two months ago, out of ‘I can’t find anything to watch’ desperation I sat through the commercial.   Later, I went on line and watched the clips on YouTube.   They have weight machines at the gym and I like using them, but as I mentioned our attendance is sporadic.    So two months ago I ordered on line the Total Gum 1400 through Target for $224.  



I love this machine.  I totally feel the difference in tone and strength.     It is a little hassle to put up and take down every other day, but by going through different sets of exercises without a break in-between I not only strengthen muscles, but also get a good cardio workout in about twenty minutes. 

Life is not a guarantee and chaos theory can throw you an injury, sickness or death chit in an otherwise healthy life.  But, if you want to improve the quality of your life and possibly your life expectancy, focusing on the big three: meditation, food and exercise, to the extent you are capable, can improve your quality of life.   

I hate to quote Trump: but what have you got to lose?
the Ol'Buzzard







6 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the review. I actually sat through that infomercial too one morning. I was trying to get David to buy one because he's so flabby and really we could both benefit from the workout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least when I quit a blog I have the decency to say goodbye! Goodbye....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exercise is a good mood booster as well, so I am told.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so true that our eating habits, exercise and how we deal with stress is so important, especially as we get older. I am so glad that you have found what works for you. I love to take long walks in nature and find this to be very therapeutic. The fresh air, the birds, the animals, and my walks all help to relieve stress and combat depression.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so true that our eating habits, exercise and how we deal with stress is so important, especially as we get older. I am so glad that you have found what works for you. I love to take long walks in nature and find this to be very therapeutic. The fresh air, the birds, the animals, and my walks all help to relieve stress and combat depression.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get plenty of exercise..and try and eat right..and I laugh a lot..which I think is the most important thing.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."