Wednesday, January 3, 2018

THE DEVIL DAMN THEE BLACK, THOU CREAM-FACED LOON!






WHERE GOT’ST THOU THAT GOOSE LOOK?

I was introduced to Shakespeare by my high school English teacher, Miss Long, back in the late 1950’s.   She required us to read The Comedy of Errors; and I waded my way through, though not understanding form or meter. 

For years I have had The Complete Work, with the intention of someday reading more; but so far that has amounted to two histories, three tragedies and four comedies.  (Love’s Labour’s Lost)

I recently purchased William Shakespeare without the boring bits, commentaries by Peter Ackroyd.  




It is an excellent read to refresh myself with the works I have read, and to introduce, in compact form, works I may (or may not) want to read.

and nothing is but what is not.
the Ol’Buzzard



2 comments:

  1. This book sounds brilliant! I have long said that what Shakespeare needs is a really strict editor to cut out all the crap. And I love Peter Ackroyd as an author too -- he's just the guy to do it.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."