Wednesday, December 25, 2013

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT



MERRY CHRISTMAS


My wife and I don’t celebrate Christmas, but we do celebrate the Winter Solstice.   However, I enjoy the Christmas season.  

The commercial aspect of the holiday (beginning with Black Friday) is the Christian version of Pagans shedding their propriety and dancing naked around a fire at the beginning of winter.  

Actually, the commercialization of Christmas is one of the main reasons that Christianity still flourishes.   Businesses throughout the country hop on the band wagon and tout The Season with displays and advertisements and Christmas music in all their stores.   

From Thanksgiving until December 25th you can not get away from Christmas – it is a commercial mind fuck.   Without this commercialization Christmas would be like Hanukkah: a celebration that would pass unnoticed except for those with deep affiliation. 

You must count down the days; you must decorate; you must buy presents for the children and family; you must join in the holiday spirit; you must – you must – you must: all a part of the God indoctrination.   

I am not saying that the stores are proselytizing for Christ but they end up as part of the Christian propaganda.

Anyway: A Happy New Year to All!

Morning verse:

This morning as I wake
I vow to see each thing as it is
And not to forsake the world

End of day verse:

This evening as I sleep
I vow to still all things
And put an end to confusion






Our Solstice Tree

We keep our tree decorated through the dark, stormy months of January and February.   It adds color and brightness to our house and lifts our spirits.



the Ol'Buzzard 

7 comments:

  1. Actually, I rather like the idea of dancing around the fire but can easily live without Christmas. I was thinking how mushy, perhaps not such a bad thing, people get over Christmas. I don't know but as with many things people do, it is all curious and a bit foreign to my mind.
    Happy another day Buzz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OB,
    It is 22 right now in Hoosierland -What is the temp in Maine?
    I sure as hell am not going to be dancing around any fire bare-assed in this weather! Good holiday - too much Crown Royal when I got home.

    Good post!

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's strange to me too that millions of North Americans have just engaged in an all-out orgy of conspicuous consumption and mindless waste to celebrate the birth of a poor carpenter’s son in a stable in Bethlehem.

    I still send out the requisite cards to family and close friends as well as a couple of gifts. Otherwise, we haven't celebrated what's known as a traditional Christmas since 1989.

    Your Solstice tree is beautiful and your views are prudent.
    Best wishes for a good new year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a beautiful tree and I love that you enjoy it through the dark winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christmases past have been up and down, neither great or truly bad, but have usually enjoyed the season, at least when it only lasted from Thanksgiving to Xmas. Now it starts sometime after Labor Day, but that's a different rant. When the kids were young we tried to make Xmas enjoyable for them, but there were some disappointments for them which seemed minor to us, but maybe not to the kids. Anywho, what I'm trying to say is I used to more or less enjoy the season, most people seemed friendly, but in recent years I have come to enjoy it less and less because of the stupid "War on Christmas" bullshit!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. starts after Labor day? Here it is December 27th, only 363 more day to Christmas and folks got their lights up already...ohhh...they haven't taken them down yet....uhhh...why bother.....?

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."