Friday, December 20, 2013

HAPPY SOLSTICE







SOLSTICE IS THE SHORTEST DAY OF THE YEAR.

My wife and I don’t celebrate Christmas but we do celebrate Solstice, which is a much older tradition.   








Holidays like Christmas, New Years, Easter, Forth of July, Memorial Day, Veterans Day, Hanukkah, Ramadan and all the other days of celebration are creations of men to commemorate something that is only relative in their culture and their location. 



The only truly definitive points in our year are Spring Equinox, Summer Solstice and Fall Equinox and Winter Solstice,.   Our relationship with the sun is the only reason there is life on our planet; and these pivotal, definable points of nature should be a celebration of life. 



Nature has given us these four points to define the seasons.  Winter solstice is truly the last day of the year. 

Our calendar, like our religions and our holidays, is a poor attempt to regulate our life, with dates like New Years arbitrarily established.  

In the southern hemisphere their year is a mirror image or ours – the natural occurrence of their seasons a reversal.    I do not find this as a contradiction; it only becomes an issue when we attempt to bring it into our accepted concept of Calendar

So to all of you we wish you a happy end of the year Winter Solstice tomorrow, followed by a safe and happy new year.




the Ol’Buzzard and his remarkable wife.  

      

5 comments:

  1. You're absolutely right -- the entire earth shares in the solstices and equinoxes. Solstice blessings to you and your remarkable wife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Solstice blessings to you and your lovely wife, my friend. May the Sun shine on you everyday the coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever tried balancing an egg on its end on the equinox??
    Have a happy Winter Solstice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Out of the dark and into the light and back again. Such is life eh?
    The best of all of it to you and your wife.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very happy solstice to you and your wife! We miserable little humans need a good reason to celebrate. I seem to be a solar powered organism...short days and inactivity really do make me depressed. So, I get a little manic around this time of the year and well, since Christmas is in my gene, I sort of go into Ed Grimley mode, I think I going mental, I must say. So, I cut down a scraggly little juniper tree in the forest and we garishly decorate it and have friends over for dinners and go out to visit. My wifes way of coping is to go into super baking mode and it's a win/win situation for everyone around here! This year on Christmas day, we are invited to our English friends who live up in a place called Exeduiel. I can't wait because my buddy Ian loves to cook and he specializes in great slabs of beef. There is a fantastic butcher in Exeduiel and I'm meat deprived! MIAM!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."