Wednesday, April 6, 2016

AND THEN ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE



Richard Engle, NBC’s Chief Foreign Correspondent who has covered the Middle East for the past twenty years, has just put out a book titled:

AND THEN ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE,



This is a must read book for anyone wishing to understand the complex issues of the Muslim world that seriously affect the rest of the global community. 

Engle begins with a history of the Middle East and the factors that have led to the religious fanaticism that has co-opted the Muslim faith.  

He accounts a fascinating story of his own immersion into the Arab culture; and reveals his understanding of the political, social and religious beliefs driving the violence of today’s complex and diverse Middle Eastern Muslim societies.

Usually when I am reading at night my mind will start to blank out and I know it is bed time.  I started Engle’s book and had to force myself to lay it down and go to bed at midnight.  

Again; a must read to be intelligently informed on a part of the world that is holding hostage, with a threat of violence, all free thinking people. 


the Ol’Buzzard 

6 comments:

  1. I'll have to see if the local library can get it through Interlibrary Loan after we're back home in May. I've read a number of books about the mess in the Middle East; it would be interesting to see what Engel has to say on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw an interview with him awhile ago. Might have been when he was doing the PR circuit to spotlight his book. A fascinating man with a fascinating life behind him. Sounds like his book might help this dumass westerner to have more of a clue about what makes the Middle East tick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll need to check that one out. I'm always interested in things like religion, science, and what not.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."