Sunday, March 22, 2020

HOW TO SURVIVE THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC







I am in my eighth decade; and I am in pretty good shape for the shape I am in. 


I have survived car crashes, aircraft crashes, Vietnam and lived through seven decades, always bucking the system and taking the path less traveled.


The point I am making, is I am a survivor.


So here is the 10  Ol’Buzzard recommendations for getting through the coronavirus pandemic.


1.    Buy in and store at least two weeks of meals that you do not intend to eat as part of your normal daily diet.    These could include pastas, cream of wheat, instant potatoes, grits, dried beans, Jell-O puddings, instant soups and frozen meats or veggies if you can store them, freeze dried or can goods. 
2.    Stay away from people.   This should include family and friends.  Do not visit, eat at restaurants, attend any activities.  Shop in the early mornings just as stores open.   If you have to work – avoid personal contact and keep your distance, shower when you get home.  
3.    Regularly wash, not only your hands but also your face (especially if you have a beard like me) using anti-bacterial soap if it is available.
4.    If you are hunkering down at home you must exercise daily.  Maintaining an exercise schedule is as important for mental health as for your physical well being. 





I do not advertise for anyone; but when I find a product that like I share it on this blog:   

If you do not have gym equipment in your house, perhaps this is the time to consider the purchase.  I am listing some of the products we use, and links to sellers.


 My wife uses a recumbent bike for thirty minutes daily.   She has had an Exerpeutic 1500 Magnetic for about ten years.  We paid about $150 for it at the time, now it sells for $199 with new bells and whistles, and is well worth the price.   For motivation my wife places a star on the calendar each day she uses the bike.   This bike will give a good cardiovascular workout and increase endurance.  



interactive product




EXERPEUTIC 1500 RECUMBENT BIKE LINK





I bought a Total Gym 1400 about ten years ago for around $200.   I just checked the internet and found that the same gym is over $400 and pretty much unavailable, but a lesser Total Gym 1100 is just as good and sells for $250.   You must be careful if you are thinking of ordering this product and verify shipping cost: One company was charging $200 shipping – Amazon has it for free shipping.  

I have been using the Total Gym for fifteen minutes almost daily and have kept good muscle tone and maintained endurance, considering my age.


If you can afford it, this would be an ideal machine to keep fit during, perhaps months, of hunkering down.    I have included a link to Total Gym 1100 on amazon.





Image result for TOTAL GYM 1100






TOTAL GYM 1100 LINK



5    Keep your automobile gas tank full.
6. Limit your news intake.   Don’t dwell on the daily hype about numbers contracted and death toll. Anxiety will lower your immune system.    Meditation can help lower your anxiety.
7.  A positive mental attitude is as important as physical health.  Use your hunker-down-time to write a blog, take online courses, read books, indulge in a hobby, begin a journal, or start that book that you always wanted to write. 

 Image result for great courses




8.      Add a one-a-day vitamin to your diet if you are limiting fresh fruit and vegetables.
9.    Make sure you have an adequate supply of necessary medications and have your pharmacy mail them to you if possible.   Many insurances have mail order pharmaceutical as part of their plan.
10.    Deal methodically with the things you can change and accept the things that you can not change.


Also smoking a joint is a good pandemic response.
the Ol'Buzzard










2 comments:

  1. Two things I did not stock up on: fresh produce and weed. Missing both right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice! Banter amongst blogging buddies I find definitely helps keep down the anxiety and I always have a surplus of weed just in case because you never know when there's going to be a zombie apocalypse :)

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."