Friday, June 22, 2018

PEELING A HARD-BOILED EGG





   

I love eggs.  I will eat them fried, poached, scrambled or hard-boiled.   I would eat eggs every day if my wife would let me.

 I love egg salad and stuffed eggs but have never known the trick to successfully get the shell removed from the hard-boiled egg without having to pick shards.    

Obviously, there is a secret society among chefs where they pass this knowledge down from master to novice.  

With stealth and the internet I have uncovered the chef’s Grimoire of kitchen magic.   My fear is not that I have penetrated the Secret Society of Fire and Knives; but, that in retaliation, the next time I eat out I may be dispatched with a poison mushroom. 

To insure my own safety, I have decided to make public the secret knowledge of hard-boiled egg preparation.   

Place the eggs in a small pot


Add enough water to cover the eggs

Bring the water to a boil then immediately reduce heat to simmer

Simmer for fifteen minutes

Pour out the hot water and fill the pot with cold water from the tap
Continue to run cold water into the pan for five minutes

Remove an egg from the pan and forcefully bang it on a cutting board, first on the pointed end then on the round end.

Roll the egg on the cutting board then roll it between your hands until the shell feels loose.

The shell will now slough off.


    
It is nice and early.

Think I will go down and have a bacon and egg sandwich for breakfast.

the Ol’Buzzard





4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Although I don't simmer them, just reduce the heat a little to a slower boil. The key, I think, is starting with cold water and ending with cold water.

      Delete
  2. My grandmother on my mother's side of the family taught me this trick when I was little. Adding one teaspoon of baking soda to the water before adding the eggs will help the shell peel off with no shards and no pieces of egg white sticking to the shell.
    Some people say adding a 1/4 cup of vinegar and a teaspoon of salt to the water works too but the eggs will pick up the vinegar taste. Eewww, yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do what you suggest but also use running water to further ease off the shell.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."