Friday, June 29, 2018

KEEPING FIT






“There is someone in my head and it’s not me.”
Pink Floyd

We all have that nagging voice in our head that tells us it’s important to stay healthy.   The formula is pretty simple: control what foods you eat and how much, and exercise to strengthen cardio and keep muscles firm.


(You don’t exercise to burn off calories.  You would have to Jazzercise for six hours just to burn off half a hamburger.   Calorie control is eating control.)


I am pretty good on the exercise part; but I do love good foods and wine.  Also, at my age, I feel that austerity – not enjoying the things I like – is missing out on a quality of life for the time I have left. 


That said, keeping fit requires dedication.   I guess I can say I practice half-a-healthy-routine.  


Exercising to firm muscles and strengthen cardio is fairly easy for me.  Fifteen minutes a day.  Anyone can do that if they make exercise easily accessible. 


One of the best purchases I ever made was buying a Total Gym.   I keep it open beside my computer, so it is in my face every day.  I do ten exercises: three sets of twelve reps without a break between.  It takes me about ten minutes to complete my sets and then I meditate for five minutes bringing down my breathing rate and heart rate.     Fifteen minutes all total.




The Total Gym-1400 now sells through Walmart for $230.   You can buy a more expensive unit; but the 1400 does everything you need.


Take care
the Ol’Buzzard






3 comments:

  1. Good for you! "A healthy mind in a healthy body" -- the Greek ideal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The godfather of jogging, Jim Fixx, dropped dead while on his morning run at the age of 52. Exercise can kill you. So can doing nothing. My plan is to eat dessert first and hope I have my mother's genes (she's 95 and still going strong).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've lost 52 pounds..smaller portions and less carbs..

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."