Friday, December 18, 2015

KRAMPUS






Last week my wife and I saw the movie Krampus.  



I have to admit that we had never heard of Krampus until we watched an episode of Grimm where the horned devil of Christmas made an appearance.



We both love the season of lights and trees and decorations but we prefer to celebrate the winter solstice as nature moves us from fall to winter, instead of the religious fable and commercial overkill that marks the Christmas holiday. 

I love a good scary story, so how I missed the tales of Krampus all these years is a mystery.



It is quite possible the story of Krampus predates Christianity, and there has been speculation that Krampus represents the horned god of early Paganism.    At the very least Krampus has been a part of Christmas celebrations in Germanic countries since the thirteenth century.    Krampus has been the antithesis of Saint Nickolas.   Where Saint Nick would leave the good children treats, Krampus would whip bad children with a switch.   Especially bad children would end up in his bag or basket and be taken away to never be seen again – I love it. 

And then there is a Christmas Horror Story yet to be seen.



Krampus: could make me like Christmas almost as much ah Halloween.

the Ol’Buzzard



3 comments:

  1. Another Konvert for Krampus, I see . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. I may have to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. don't blame bad shit on us pagans...we don't eat baby's..but we'd like to spit and roast a few republican candidates except they are spoiled meat.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."