Tuesday, March 31, 2015

EASTER: THE TINKERBELL SYNDROM





I am picking up the buzz that this Sunday is Easter: the day that the Christian God allowed rabbits to lay colored hard boiled eggs in celebration of a zombie outbreak.

As a child I was sent to the Episcopal Church.    Children believe what their adults tell them and when you are raised in the Deep South every adult is saying the same thing: that God exist, and the only question is which denomination is the true believers.

 Since the small Mississippi Delta town was 90% hard shell Southern Baptist it was pretty accepted that Catholics were heathens and had no chance of heaven, and since Episcopalians allowed children to dance and women to wear makeup we probably wouldn't make the cut either.

It was about the tenth grade that I had questions about religion that I couldn't reconcile.    It was comparable to being gay since I believed I was the only person in the state, and perhaps the nation, that just couldn't buy into the God story.    I surely couldn't tell anyone, and I had no desire to be born again: to buy into a story, on faith alone, that seemed totally ridiculous.

There is no logical explanation that can justify a belief in Gods; it boils down to the matter of choosing to believe the fantastic.





4 comments:

  1. my grandparents had a mixed marriage..she was hard shell, he was foot washing...they only agreed on one thing..I was going to hell..I decided to be a catholic at the age of 12-13..Daddy said I only did it to piss them off..he may have had a point..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how the Christians stole the egg tradition from the Persians!
    I have asked many a pastor to describe to me the trinity as I just cannot understand this belief. One finally said to me that I had to believe it on faith and I just laughed at him. I love how the history of the Christian church is left out of most high school history books. We wouldn't want to corrupt their thinking, now would we??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lawdy, Lawd! Don't get me started. BWAAHAHAHAAHAHAAAAA!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The evil of religion all stems from literal belief and supremacist ideology. Those two things together create a powerful intolerance and ability to commit any atrocity in the name of their god.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."