Friday, October 25, 2013

DON’T CALL ME AN ATHEIST.





I have blogged before about my resentment of the term ‘atheist.’      

Why do I need a title to denote what I do not believe in?  

I do not believe in vampires; I do not believe in werewolves; I do not believe in the Easter bunny, I do not believe in Santa Clause; I do not believe in Bugs Bunny and rabbits that talk; I do not believe in fairies; I do not believe in angels; I do not believe in devils;  I do not believe in demons;  and I don’t believe in the Christian fairy tale.   So why, from this short list of the many things I do not believe in must I carry a title to denote only one of my many disbeliefs?

I also believe that the word ‘atheist’ somehow legitimizes the Christian religion.   It presupposes that there is a god and that Christ was a living breathing man who pissed and shit and woke up many days with a hard on - and was a god living on earth. 

If you don’t believe in global warming and evolution you are a ‘science denier’ – you are guilty of ignorance of factual data and as such can be titled.   But, the god and Christ fiction has no basis in face – it requires blind faith of its followers.   You don’t need a title not to buy into to someone else’s fantasy.  

Fundamentalist religions, whether they are Muslim or Christian, are dangerous precepts.   They have fanatical followers that are so convinced of their own rightness and righteousness that they are able to justify any atrocity in the name of their god.  Evangelicals are only one step away from the Taliban –only our laws restrict them.

“Religion easily has the greatest bullshit story ever told”
From: Napalm and Sillyputty by George Carlin.

The way I see it, there is only one drawback in denying religions:  there is no one to call to during orgasm.

the Ol’Buzzard




9 comments:

  1. OB,
    I have often stated this - "Why is it that people are completely sane about everything else except religion"? It baffles me! People hate one - even kill one another (and themselves while doing it) - over the way the worship.

    It is madness...

    Good post!


    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. The devil makes them do it.

    Damn spot on post Ol'B!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Recently saw something about someone saying that the "Jesus" thing was made up by the Romans to try and control the Jewish rebels. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/story-of-jesus-christ-was-fabricated-to-pacify-the-poor-claims-controversial-biblical-scholar-8870879.html

    A controversial American biblical scholar is set to make his first appearance in London next week to present a discovery that he claims proves the story of Jesus Christ was invented as a system of mind control to enslave the poor.

    Joseph Atwill, who is the author of a book entitled 'Caesar's Messiah: The Roman Conspiracy to Invent Jesus', asserts that Christianity did not begin as a religion, but was actually a sophisticated government propaganda exercise used to pacify the subjects of the Roman Empire.


    This story is from a couple of weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live in Europe and I just spent a week in Rome and Central Italy...I had a very nice visit to Assisi...but though Assisi is a wonderful town clinging to the side of a mountain, it is absolutely pure marketing and mind control. I think on the whole, Southern Europeans are a lot more blaise regarding religion...it's a matter of custom and cultural identity. Where I live, in France, there are ancient churches everywhere, but since the Revolution, the church is forbidden to own property. We keep our churches preserved as part of the cultural heritage. American Catholics are driven by the church to go to mass every sunday, or go to hell. I see in my own family, the guilt enforced fanaticism of the church. Here, there aren't enough priests to celebrate mass in the churches...most French men go to church when they are baptized, the childhood rituals, they might get married in a church, but a wedding is not legal unless it is a state function in front of the mayor...then we go to funerals....Oh, Christmas Midnight mass is a family ritual for many. I had a few experiences as a very young kid that opened my eyes and made me think. At the age of 12, while a crazed nun was pounding my head into a tiled wall, I realized that all that was stopping me from punching her in the face was the fear that if I hit a nun, I would go to hell. I ran far, I ran fast and I never looked back.....As far as I am concerned, Sister Mary Noreen created her own worst nightmare that day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Catholic Church in New York owns a large percentage of the funeral homes: guess who profits off of dead Catholics?
      the Ol'Buzzard

      Delete
  5. You make a good point about the word "atheist." What would you call yourself (if anything)? I like the term "free thinker."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would not like to be labeled as an atheist if it meant that I believed in nothing. There's a lot of stuff I believe, but I think that belief is a conditional thing. We have the freedom of evolving ideas. I think that the idea of religion is a result of our psychic evolution as an intelligent specie. I'm ready for the next step. The real universe is much more immense and fantastic than anything our puny prehistoric brains could ever conceive. We needed religion as a primitive specie to help us deal with the imponderable reality of looking up at the stars at night. Religion was a step in the organization of societies. It appears that many people accept that we have arrived at a stage where we either go beyond religion or get stuck in an evolutionary bottleneck. BTW, Mr. Buzzard, do you know who owns some of the most valuable real estate on the planet? Many tax free tracts of land in lower Manhattan are owned by the Church of England! This is because the land contracts and grants respected by law go back to pre revolutionary war times...the same thing in Michigan and much of the midwest...The Catholic Church has immense holdings, tax free because American religious laws that date back to French land grants.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was the best and funniest thing I have read in ages. And so true its scary. WELL WRITTEN!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."