Friday, March 30, 2012

THEY ARE JUST ABOUT ALL GONE




I remember talking to my mother just before she died.  She had outlived all her friends and relatives.   She said she dreamed a lot, and everybody she dreamed of was dead.

I don’t have those dreams; mainly because I don’t have any friends or family that I have ever kept in touch with.  

But today I have been thinking about the death of Earl Scruggs.   As a young man in the military in the early sixties I was a country fan before it was blue grass.  I would listen to Earnest Tubb, Hank Williams, Johnny Cash and the real bluegrass – Flatt and Scruggs.   I had a half dozen Flatt and Scruggs albums; and I’d get drunk and try to pick and sing “You're Not A Drop in the Bucket When It Comes To Loving Me.


All those albums are long gone, but those songs more than anything else bring back memories that seem like another world – another time and  place in some parallel universe that doesn’t exist - and never existed - in today’s reality.

Well, I couldn’t find “A Drop In The Bucket” but here is some Flatt and Scruggs at their best.


and one more from:The Story of Bonnie and Clyde.




the Ol'Buzzard

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, so many of the old guys whose music we grew up with are gone. Loved Flatt and Scruggs.
    My parents generation is almost gone. All my aunts and uncles, last one a year ago. Not many of my folks cousins left. Makes me feel lonely and exposed.
    "Thanks for the memories".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of us are lucky enough to remember that different world along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the way "Foggy Mountain Breakdown" seemed to fit the scenes of the old Ford bouncing down the dirt roads in the movie "Bonnie and Clyde".

    Liked those old country singers, but the new country SUCKS A BIG ONE!! Most of them sound like they are WHINING about something, usually something to do with religion.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."